Why can't show dogs be fixed?

I had thought about showing just for fun but the rules say the dog can not be fixed. Would it not be better on training and make them act better in the ring if they were fixed? I have always heard a unfixed male would lift his leg in the house and hump everthing????

Asked by Member 758309 on May 17th 2010 Tagged showdogs in Agility & Sports

Answers

That is the way it has always been. Theoretically showing is about improving the breed. How can you improve the breed if the best dog has been fixed?

Yes, spay/neutering often does help with behavior problems. Well bred, well trained males don't mark or hump everything. Of course, if your breeding stock live outside in a kennel, behavior problems are less important. You can fix marking with a belly band too. Paying a highly skilled handler to show the dog helps with behavior in the ring too.

The above comments don't mean there aren't people that love the breed, and love their well behaved dogs that live in the house with them.

Max (aka Sebastian)

I have heard on occasion of owners of male show dogs have a vet who is good at his sticth work (ie no noticible scars) preform the fixing and filling the male back up with faux testicles so they can still show.
I actually saw a show on animal planet years ago, sure it'd be expensive though.

Max (aka Sebastian) answered on 5/17/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Dog shows are where breeders show off their breeding dogs... there are some classes such as stud dog and brood bitch where the dogs can be neutered to participate. A show dog really doesn't need much training to be a show dog... pretty much all they need to do is gait at the correct speed and stand still while the judge goes over them, and at no time are they off their leashes. Dogs in the performance venues such as obedience, rally, agility, and field events can be neutered and still participate.
As for male dogs living unneutered in the house, ALL my male labs and my male poodles have always lived in my house. There is NO humping ever, and only rarely is there any marking, and then only when there is a female in heat around, or a visiting dog, and, the NEUTERED ones are just as bad as the unaltered ones when that happens. If a dog is housebroken well, he will not mark inside his house, and both humping and marking can be easily stopped with some consistant training.

Ikan

Because you show dogs and do not fix them because the idea would be to find the best dog and bitch together to have as close to perfect puppies you can have. Some shows will accept fixed dogs in the veteran classes( ones that are older then 7 and have their championship)..I have my show dogs in the house and they do not lift their legs or hump anything. They have been trained not to do this.

Ikan answered on 5/17/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Angela

ur question shows you lack of knowledge of the wonderful world of dog shows, dog shows were invented to evaluate breeding stock and decide which dogs had the desireable traits to pass on to the next generation, therefore "fixed" (i hate when people call it that by the way, i call it altered, and when people say "Fixed" i reply if it aint broke dont fix it!) dogs are not allowed in dog shows, even though they do have altered shows for senior dogs, u dont get a title for them. and your generalizations about unaltered male dogs are not true. and no, training makes them act better in the ring, not getting them surgury.

Angela answered on 9/10/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer