why are my doga eyes always tearing up

my dogs eyes are always teary and leave a crusty, wet mess

Asked by Member 789729 on Jan 10th 2009 Tagged slinky, tears in Other Health & Wellness

Answers

Stormy

Eye goo is fairly common in dogs. Most of the time its just normal eye function, removing any dirt or dust that may be near or in the eyes. Some breeds experience more eye tearing than others, usually ones with wrinkled faces and lots of the smaller/toy breeds. You should wipe the area clean and keep it dry on a daily basis. They also make products to help whiten tear stains, Angel Eyes is one such product.
You should only start to be concerned if there seems to be ALOT more eye goop than usual, or if it appears to be a different color, such as yellow or green as this could indicate a bacterial infection or the dog could have clogged tear ducts.
So a little bit of eye crust is okay, but keep an EYE out for anything out of the ordinary and if you suspect an eye infection of any kind, please take your dog to the vet.

Stormy answered on 1/10/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

What kind of dog is it?
Some bug eyed breeds need to do this to rid the eye of dust, hairs that get in the eye.
Alot of lil dogs do this.
If discharge is colored, you must go to vet.
could be infected.

Bella

Whether or not this should be of concern to you really depends upon the breed of dog you own. I have a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel and tearing like this is simply characteristic of her breed. There are products out there to help this. I've tried several different ones. They do not seem to eliminate the problem completely, but they do help. It used to really bother me that Bella always had eye goop, but now I have accepted it, and it just makes her her. As long as it doesn't effect her health negatively, I don't mind at all.

Bella answered on 1/11/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Daisy

all cavalier's have runny eyes. nothing to worry about though as long as you wipe the a coupple of times a day to prevent infection.

Daisy answered on 7/9/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer