where can you get a full blood lab?

breeders place

Asked by Member 764094 on Nov 6th 2008 in Labrador Retriever

Answers

Dexter

Check with AKC (American Kennel Club) www.akc.org They can give you info on who to contact. They have high standards on breeders. Or reputable vets. They are usually a great source of information. You want a breeder who breeds for the love of the animal, not the love of the money (puppy farm).

Dexter answered on 11/6/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Yes, AKC is a place to start looking for a great breeder.
*However*...just because a breeder is registered with the AKC or mentioned on their website does not automatically make them a good breeder. While the AKC probably has more good breeders registered with them than any other registry, they are just a registry. I've even read some article that suggest that the AKC gave benefits to puppy mills. How true that is, I'm not sure. But it is something to keep in mind.

So how does one find a good breeder? The answer is that one must study about breeders and learn to identify one. I've been studying about breeders for about 3 years now because I plan to be one one day.
I made a website containing what I have learned about breeders for educational purposes:
cookiemiller.tripod.com

Now, my website should not be the only thing you use to study about breeders. Study on the internet, in books, and talk to actual breeders outside the cyber world.
Best of luck!

Zack

It looks like you already have some great answers. I wanted to add that when you are searching for breeders, you might also decide whether you want a working-line lab (i.e. for hunting or other work) or a showing-line lab (i.e. like you might put in a dog show or keep primarily as a companion). From what I understand, since they are bred for different purposes they will have different drives, energy levels, etc. and it is important to know which will fit best with your family. The breeders you research can tell you what they breed their dogs for, which will also help you narrow the search.

Zack answered on 11/7/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Nicki~In Loving Memory~

You can check your local humane society for many full blood dogs. Since labs are VERY popular you can find many in a humane society that are looking for a home.

Nicki~In Loving Memory~ answered on 11/9/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer