Missy

When to be concerned about my dog Missy when it takes her so long to catch her breath after her run.

I have worked with a lot of dogs! So I usually have the answers when it comes to my dogs... My lab border collie X, After I take her for a run weather it is short or long it takes her about an hour of heavy panting/breathing until she will finally catch her breath and calm down. She is high energy by nature and does run pretty hard! But I still find it unusual.

Today we went to the park for only 20 min. It was a warmer day I threw the ball for her a # of times, Then she started to foam at the mouth (I have never seen her do this) I cut the walk short and an hour later she is still having a hard time catching her breath! I am always told by the vet that she is healthy! She has done this for most if not all of her life... anyone think I should be concerned? she is 2.5 years lots of energy to burn!

Asked by Missy on Jul 9th 2013 Tagged panting, excersise, breathing in Exercise

Answers

I would have a vet check her out. Good Luck!

Did they take chest xrays? test her thyroid? heartworm? allergies?
I know several labs & border collies that play so hard they need longer recovery times...but the foaming at the mouth is difficult to advise on, especialy without seeing it

Be sure to take her to the vet for a second opinion. Also, don't engage her immediately to strenuous activities. Give her a sort of a warm-up and start with short periods and gradually increase it. That way, she'll get used to cardio exercises.

xena CGC

i know a lot of lab and lab mix and they will run until they go into heat exhaustion to please their people.

us chows and chow mix just set and will not move we are not people dependent .

. .xena the warrior princess

{FOAMING IS A SIGN TO STOP AND COOL DOWN BEFORE HEAT EXHAUSTION}

{XENA'S PEOPLE}

xena CGC answered on 7/16/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Do you feed her with raised bowls to avoid bloat? Does she gorge food because she was a rescue- a portion pacer bowl can help and then she will be able to take in more air. Bring this up at her next vet appointment and have them measure her lung capacity and check if she has a heart murmur. ^_^