Zoe

When should i Contact my Breeder about health concerns?

A few years ago i came onto this board seeking advice to find a purebred golden retriever. I found a breeder that seemed to be good and got my puppy. Now she is having health problems, the vet is wanting to run blood tests fearing that it might be a systemic problem. I found out not long ago that the puppies mother died of cancer at roughly two years of age. Is this something I should inform her breeder about?

Asked by Zoe on Nov 1st 2013 in Health & Wellness

Best Answer

Koby

You should contact the breeder immediately. If your breeder is a good one, they will have lots of advice and will want to have a copy of the medical results. If there's a serious problem, they should give you a refund and/or take the puppy back and/or give you another puppy as a replacement. If it's a minor problem, they may give a partial refund. That happened to us with Koby. They only problem is...........we fell in love with him and couldn't give him back, not to mention, his breeder fell of the face of the earth. Just know that some breeders will euthanize pups with medical problems.

Koby answered on Nov 1st.

Answers

Contact the breeder immediately about this issue! Did your puppy come with a health guarantee? If so, definitely contact the breeder.

This is why it is CRUCIAL to adopt from an AKC club breeder. I hate to say it, but your dog is probably inbred, and your breeder knows. Some people are only in the biz for the $$, and you will realize that if he or she disappears, in which case you need to report that person to the BBB and breed club of your state. A reputable breeder will give you a refund, or half price on a new pup and a FULL HEALTH AND TEMPERAMENT guarantee. You also have to sign a contract and they come fixed. Good luck and sorry that your dog is so sick. ^_^