when is too late to spay my pregnant dog?

How late is too late to spay a pregnant dog?
I have a toy dog that got pregnant from a male that is 8 lbs. she is only 2 lbs and i fear that this is going to endanger her life and i never wanted this to happen but it did.

two weeks ago they bred and now her nipples are getting quite large which i believe is cos she is pregnant.
I have an appointment to spay her next week...will it be too late?

Asked by Member 793849 on Jan 27th 2009 Tagged spay, pregnancy in Health & Wellness

Answers

I believe that average gestation period is 63 days but I could be wrong. I honestly don't know if it would be too late, but for your dogs sake, I certainly hope not.

Bam-Bam, CGC answered on 1/27/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

No, it's not too late. And it's the best way to go in this case since the male was bigger than her.
Better than having her die while giving birth to puppies who are too large for her.

Lexi

Its never too late. I've watched vets pull full term pups out of their mom and put them to sleep immediately.
Its called a spay abort and its never too late.

Lexi answered on 1/27/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Sativa

It is not to late. Like the previous poster they will do a spay/abortion. My husband had this done to his dog, he didn't know she had gotten pregnant and had a spay appointment already scedualed. He took her in and they said she was pregnant. They decided they could do a spayy/abortion.

Sativa answered on 1/28/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer