when is a Irish Setter too old to breed

We have a 8 yr old beauty that we just love to death and we often thought it would be so nice to have a pup from her is it just too late to do this? I guess we need to clarify ourselves in this question due to the answer we recieved. We dont want to breed her beacause she is a beauty we often thought it would be nice to have a pup from her because we love HER and would have liked to have a piece of her when she leaves us is all. We have tried over the years to buy a male but due to her expensive bloodline noone would sell thinking we wanted to breed to make money. Definately not the case here... Just thought we would ask... thanks

Asked by Member 851682 on Sep 16th 2009 in Irish Setter

Answers

6 is usually the age limit in med-large breeds, and even that is pushing it a little bit! I'll let others address why wanting to breed a dog simply because she's a "beauty" is wrong.

Bam-Bam, CGC answered on 9/16/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

It is to late to breed her. Older dogs like her can not handle going through all that.

B.J., CGC

I am using your words... Love to death. An 8 year old Irish setter being bred for the first time is way more likely to die during the pregnancy than a healthy, young dog. I do not breed any lab after six years of age, and I would never breed one for the first time even at 6 years old. It is just plain too risky. Get her spayed ASAP so she won't end up with pyometria and die from that.

B.J., CGC answered on 9/16/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

too old.
Try looking for dog's at a rescue who are similar to the breed you have, many are out there looking for a good home to stay in for the rest of their life.
Just type in Irish Setter recues, I know something will pop up, I think that is the best route.
I always think like this.
"I am going to keep all my memories right where they should be , in my heart"
I know what you are saying but, really so many wonderful dogs are out there waiting.

Yes, she is way too old to breed!...I know of an Irish Setter that was recently bred at the age of 8.5 yrs. & didn't survive the whelping.

I have loved and lost 3 of the best dogs ever. My memories are sweet and will stay with me always. Each had a story, fun, quirks, remarkable. Your dog will always be with you long after it passes. Don't be selfish by trying to "copy" perfection for your benefit when it does nothing for the dog.
Karma requires that such a selfish act be met with resistance - like a puppy with horrible behavior no matter what you do....
My Lab died in February. I still like to sit in the shade of her favorite plum tree. When she died I thought how surprised Woofie will be to see she turned out so well. They are both in tins on my mudroom shelf, side by side, individual, wonderful, badly missed by us all.

Yes, she is too old to be bred. The reason behind responsible breeding is always to help to improve the health of the breed. There are several requirements that a dog should meet before she should be bred, and the owner himself has to have adequate knowledge as well. If you don't know the maximum age for breeding, which is one of the basics, I'd say you have a few year's worth of study ahead of you.
Learn more on my website, an *introduction* to the world of responsible dog breeding:
cookiemiller.tripod.com
~Tiffany, breeder-in-training

Widdle Gracie Nee' GPC

If you breed her at this age you will surely lose what you are trying to copy. Ever if by some miracle you were successful the next pup would be nothing like his or her mom. Please look for an Irish Setter Rescue and find and another girl that needs a loving home.

Widdle Gracie Nee' GPC answered on 9/17/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer