when do pomeranians reach full height and weight

I bought a 6 week old pom puppy. He is adorable but I was told mom was 8 lbs and dad was 2 lbs heavier. This little guy just gained 2 lbs in a week and is now 5 lbs at 8 weeks old. He is smallest of the litter.
Were they having me on when they said he won't exceed 10 lbs??

Asked by Member 838594 on May 23rd 2009 Tagged pomeranian, height, weight, when in Puppies

Answers

They stop growing around 8-9 months old. I have a friend who has a 2 year old pom and he's about 13lbs.

I'd guess he will exceed 10 lbs. if he is already 5 lbs. at 8 weeks...I am sure you will love him just as much if he turns out to be larger...These things can't be predicted within certainty.

I agree, it is hard to say. I am a little concerned about how much you may be feeding it. Even if overweight isn't the threat to its bone structure for small puppies it is for large breed ones, it is still bad.

Even as a puppy, your dog definitely should be narrower at the waist than the hips and chest. You should be able to easily feel the ribs, but not see them. Each dog is different. Standard recommendations are a good place to start, but each dog must have its food and exercise adjusted to its individual needs. Here is a link to a good illustrated guide, www.longliveyourdog.com