When do I know when my male is ready to breed? He is going to be 7 months on the 21 st.

Asked by Member 530478 on Jul 7th 2008 in Yorkshire Terrier

Answers

Shayne CGC, RL2

Umm... if you dont know that answer i would suggest getting him neutered.

Only people who have been extremely well educated on breeding should EVER breed their dogs.

You should ONLY breed if your dog betters the breed (toward the breed standard) OR if they do the job they were bred to do (which yorkies dont have). So unless he has earned many titles in the show ring you should neuter him.

I dont know a vet who will health cert. a dog before 2 years old. You need to have hips, eyes, back. shoulders certified along with other health checks. It is NOT just a vet visit you need extensive testing.

It costs hundreds and hundreds of dollars to certify a dog (not to mention the money to take care of pups if you have the bitch as well..).

Neuter your pup--Millions of dogs were euthanized in shelters last year-DONT contribute to the problem!!

Shayne CGC, RL2 answered on 7/7/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

I so agree with the other dog....YOU SHOULD NOT breed your dog, you would be an "backyard" breeder and EVERYONE HATES "Backyard Breeders".......For real...get your dog "fixed" && they should be 2-3 years old before breeding them. &&& you should know this question and MUCH MUCH more! JUST "FIX" Your dog PLEASE....It will save us and a lot of others....&& OTEHR DOGS!! PLEASE DON'T "BREED" YOUR DOG(S)!!!!
I agree with the other dog...
MILLONS DIED AND MILLONS WILL THIS YEAR DO TO "BACKYARD" BREEDERS AND NOT GETTING YOUR DOGS "FIXED"!!!!!!
PLEASE "FIX" YOUR DOG(S)!!!
=~)

On no, this is the third one in 3 days...GAK!
7 months? Not anytime soon. When he's two years old, has had all of his health tests done (OFA, CERF, and several others), when you know that he fits his breed standard pretty well, when you are sure that he has a good temperament (don't want to pass on a bad temperament), when you are breeding for the health of the breed only, when you have done several year's worth of extensive study and research on breeding and dogs in general, and when you have had some experience with a good mentor who has been breeding for about 10 years and who has bred dogs that could win in a dog show.
If you aren't willing to do that, then breeding is not for you and your dog should be neutered.
Learn more by clicking on this link:
cookiemiller.tripod.com

I swear, if I see any more people wanting to breed their dogs even when they have next to no knowledge about the matter, I'm gonna puke.

He will be ready after you've put a conformation title on him at LEAST.
After he's had all of his OFA's & health certifications.
After you've found just the right bitch that also has met those criteria.
After you've found a responsible & knowledgeable mentor.
Good luck.
www.woodhavenlabs.com

Mattie

please have him neutered I work with a rescue group and plus 6 to 8 million dogs and cats are euthanized each year because a lack of homes. I understand your feelings for breeding but obviosly you are not an experienced breeder! Please neuter him :( 2 years is the bare minnimum to breed, but there is only 171,229 dogs on petfinder alone that already need home right now including Yorkshire Terriers, mutts, and numerous small dogs just like yours; most are dying in shelter or maybe in rescue groups wating for their forever homes (just a thought)! Please do not think about breeding unless your dog follows these guidelines good

If you do decide to breed him :( What are going to do with the puppies you cannot sell or keep? :(

I realize I sound the same as everyone else that answered your question, but there are sooo many unwanted dogs right now. We are not here to judge but please think twice before breeding!!
www.spayusa.or

Mattie answered on 7/8/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

scooby

I allso agree with the others,YOU SHOULD NOT breed your dog and if you do please spend alittle time finding out alot more most people see only the money in it but its not all that it take alot more to breed like r you ready to stay up all night with a sick pup r spend all the money on the mom to make sure she stays in good health and if you have to ask a question like that your not at all ready!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

scooby answered on 7/8/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Lady

He`ll be ready to breed when He`s about a year old. It is`int good for pups to breed. You will get better results if you breed Him with a female that`s done it already. Oh, and its GREAT that His Birthday will be on the 21st, because my Dog is Due to have puppys then!! Good Luck with Breeding!! - Lady.

Lady answered on 7/9/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

To everyone who really didn't answer this question:
Don't answer the question if your going to basically call the person ignorant. There's a reason why they asked, its called research and learning to be knowledgeable, so they are prepared in any steps they plan on taking. If you recommend him or her to have their dog neutered, then suggest it nicely, there's no need to basically call the person STUPID! Besides if you love your pets, you shouldn't neuter them.