When do I know is time to euthanize my dog ?

My dog Cookie is an old one about 13-15 by the vet estimation, we rescued him for summers ago and he has multiple health problems. For the last two yeasts we give him insulin shuts twice a day and tramadol for pain, he is also blind.
For the last three or so month he developed a growth next to his ear, he has some on his leg a significant one and some smaller ones on other parts of his body.
Lately he is scratching extremely bad, he will not stop, so we try to prevent him from hurting himself 24/7 and I am not exaggerating. The only time we can do other things is when he sleeps a few hours here and there.
All the vet visits cannot help with the extreme scratching due to his diabetes the meds range is very limited more like none.
We are exhausted, I work nights and my husband is disable and he is the one who suffers the most, but he is the one who has a hard time considering to put the dog to sleep.
Any suggestion that may work for us, is it fair to put the dog down due to so many problems he has?

Asked by Member 1113226 on May 30th 2012 in Diabetes

Answers

I am facing the same decision right now. The only thing that I can say is, if his quality of life is not good, then that's when I think most people make the decision to euthanize their dog. Good Luck!

Try to consider his quality of life--is he enjoying himself at all?

It is always a tough decision. But know that no one will think the badly of you for the decision you do make--it's one almost every dog owner faces sooner or later.