Roxie

When do dogs stop the heat cycle?

My 9 year old Peke hasn't been in heat for over 2 years. As of a few days ago I noticed she was in heat. Do they continue the heat cycle their whole life? She was around another female in heat last weekend, I wonder because she was around her did the make her go into heat? I am assuming that it would not be a very good situation if the dog got pregnant.....

Asked by Roxie on Sep 23rd 2008 Tagged heat, pregnancy in Health & Wellness

Answers

Yes, the heat cycle keeps going the dog's while life. A dog can get pregnant at any age, but past the age of 7 is too old for them. What I mean to say is, it's too risky for a dog to get pregnant past the age of 7. Well, it's risky at any age, but especially in the dog's senior years.
I think that a female can throw another into heat.

Why risk the chance of her getting pregnant...get her spayed.