Kodiak

When can we start training our aussie for agility?

Kodiak is 8 weeks old and has a lot of energy. He is very smart and always wants to run around the house. We decided to get him because we just moved into a house with a large yard and we are graduate students so we have tons of extra time to train him and be at home with him. We have read the shepherds need a job but that they should not partake in running or biking until they are 6 months to a year. Will he be able to start learning how to jump and do other agility tests now to ease his energy level or is it too soon? I want him to be a happy and active puppy but I do not want to be hurting his health/development.

Asked by Kodiak on Sep 24th 2012 Tagged agility, training in Australian Shepherd

Answers

First step is obedience. Take a puppy class so he can get the basics, plus get used to being around other dogs & distractions. Most agility classes have obedience as a pre-requisite. Too much racing about, spinning, weaving, jumping can be very damaging to his joints. It is best to wait until his growth plates have fused before you start that type of training.
Training has the bonus of tiring out his mind..which will also tire out his body. You could teach him the agility commands he'd need...like down, stay, jump, away, etc. Jumping over your leg while you sit on the floor, weaving between your legs, focus. All these can be done with little risk of injury.
I think it is great you have a long term goal for him..both he & you will have a ton of fun.

I believe you're not supposed to do any jumping until he reaches a year and three months, or somewhere around there. I remember that from somewhere, anyway.

Seth

Agility is an advanced form of training and really needs to be built up to. You can start some of the simple things at any time just to get them used to it. But you really will have to master the obedience skills first.

Seth answered on 9/28/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer