Bear

When can I start taking my puppy for walks?

I have a 10 week old pomeranian puppy and I was wondering when he will be old enough to start going on walks. I put him on his leash and walk him around a small area but he doesn't like the leash and doesn't want to walk with me.

Asked by Bear on Feb 17th 2010 in Exercise & Play

Best Answer

You can't wait until a dog has all its shots to get it out into the world. The period between 6-12 weeks is a dangerous time. One sniff where a sick dog relieved itself in the last 6 months can bring on parvo or another life threatening disease. Fail to expose it to strangers, including men, women, children, noise, etc. and you could end up with a misfit you can't take out in public. They also need continuing contact with other dogs, but it must be limited to ones you know are getting good care.

See www.apdt.com

Aster answered on Feb 17th.

Answers

Natcho

Start taking him for walks once he has all his shots.
And then you're ready to go exploring!

Natcho answered on 2/17/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

even with the shots. Your dog is not structurally ready for big walks.
I do simple training in the yard
Then over a few months I take them to the club for socialization and other things.
It takes months for your dog to be physically able to go on walks.
You can teach the leash around 4 months old.
Or you can carry the dog to the pet stores to get them social with people

Seth

I would start leash training my puppies as soon as i could on a leash in the back yard, or even inside the house when it was to cold just to get them used to it.

Seth answered on 2/18/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Kujo

DO NOT take him for a walk on common areas till he is fully vacinated or you risk him getting Parvo or a number of other deadly illnesses. I trained my pom to like the leash by letting him run around the house with it on before i tried to walk him so that he got used to it being there. Now he sits patiently for me to put it on him because he knows that it means that he gets to go outside.

Kujo answered on 2/19/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer