whats wrong with my dog if its ribs are showing

ribs are showing tailbone is showing to skinny for its age

Asked by Member 831326 on Apr 28th 2009 in Other Puppies

Answers

Have you been to the vet to have him/her checked for worms?

It could be worms or other health problem, or just not feeding him enough. Yes, I would start with a vet check.

While most of the charts on dog food bags call for more than most dogs need, some dogs need more. I had to feed Lucky about twice as much Pro Plan as most Labs his size.

There are some breeds that it is hard to get to eat enough to hide their ribs, young Shepherds, Boxers, Great Danes, and worst of all Salukis. I even once had a Lab that was that way. If the vet says it is healthy, and it won't eat enough to keep its ribs covered, you are better off leaving well alone. The worst thing is to upset its balanced by tempting it with rich food. Lean dogs live longer. www.longliveyourdog.com

Check for worms.

You may be feeding too low of a calorie food. (a food that has too much filler, and thus is filling your dog, but he isn't getting the calories he needs to put some "meat" on his bones. )

You should check your kibbles.
And go to the vet to check for worms.

What breed is your dog?
How old is your dog?

If your dog is in an adolescent stage, he might just be lean and lanky - like human teenagers, dogs tend to go through growth spurts and be lean and lanky until they start filling in. *That* would be a normal stage and it would be fine for a dog to be skinny in that situation.

If your dog is a young puppy or a fully grown adult, my recommendation would be that you start addressing this with a thorough vet exam. Make sure to have your vet test for internal parasites and common disorders that may cause a dog to loose weight.

how old is he?
I would buy some good dog food like solid gold barking at the moon, or wellness just for puppies if he is puppy. barking at the moon is for adults only.
But they have solid gold wolf cub which is also good for pups.
before this he should have some blood work to see why he is so skinny :)