What's the best apartment dog for the city?

I have a small house and there's not much room for most dogs.

Asked by Member 325541 on Sep 18th 2007 Tagged city, small, dog in

Best Answer

Koloa

I recommend browsing AKC dog breed descriptions. Look for dogs that don't require a lot of exercise. All dogs require some exercise but you want to look for one that does not need a lot of space to run around; a dog that would be happy with a walk around the block. Also, some of the breed descriptions found on AKC's website and in popular breed books state whether a dog is suited to apartment/city life or not. And don't think that you have to get a toy breed if you want a larger dog. Some medium and large breeds that don't need running space can do great in apartments/cities.

Koloa answered on Sep 21st.

Answers

Lucas Xenakis

We believe that miniature Schnauzers are the best apartment dog. They are small and adjust well to small places. Several books and websites agree on this subject.

Lucas Xenakis answered on 9/19/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Pea-Nutty 1998-2012

Having two chihuahuas myself, I believe that this would be the perfect dog for you in your apartment. Chihuahuas are intelligent, charming and loving dogs who are devoted to their owners.
Also, they are intelligent and can be trained fairly easily. Chihuahuas are the ultimate apartment dog and usually get enough indoor activity that they don’t need any regular exercise. If you do take this breed outside for a walk, they may require a warm jacket in winter.

Pea-Nutty 1998-2012 answered on 9/20/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Cashew

I have a Min Pin. She is my 3rd one and all have done well in apartments. They still need lots of exercise. I also have a basset hound, who has been good for my apartment living.

Cashew answered on 9/20/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Molly Saran

I got Molly when i lived in a condo, Shih Tzus are happy little dogs who don't require alot of space to run around... most are under 18 pounds (molly is 9 pounds) & do not shed because they have hair instead of fur, but do require more grooming than some other breeds , i tend to keep her hair short for that reason... hope this info has helped you ....

Molly Saran answered on 9/21/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Wednesday

you may not think this but great danes are amazing apartment dogs!! while they are so big they do very well in apartments and don't need as much running around room as some of the smaller breeds do. if you don't believe look it up. i've had many vet students tell me they are the best.

Wednesday answered on 9/23/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 2 Report this answer