What's the best antiitch cream/medicine for my dog?

She is shedding at the base of her tail and I think it's because shes scratching so much causing the hair loss. she's a beagle about 4 years old.

Asked by Member 1034556 on May 21st 2011 in Shedding

Answers

do you know for CERTAIN it's not fleas? Base of the tail is one of their favorite hangouts. Run a fine tooth comb there, shake it out onto a piece of white paper, and see if you get any little black specks. Add a drop of water to one speck, and if it turns red, you've got fleas. Those specks are flea poop, which is made of blood (since that's what fleas eat.)

The second most common cause of itching after fleas is allergies. Try giving her an antihistamine like Benadryl for a few days, and see if she improves. If she does, then you know it's an allergic reaction, probably to something in her food. Up to you to figure out exactly what.

I also recommend a vet visit, to rule out something more unusual like mange or ringworm, and confirm fleas/allergies. It's better to find the cause of the itching rather than just treat the symptoms.

Petri

I personally love using PETfection Deodorizer/Allergy Spray. It is 100% Organic, Non Toxic, and is amazing at helping with itchy spots/dry skin/bumps/etc. I use it for everything! You can spray it directly onto the area as needed. They also offer a Hot Spots/Wound Spray and Paw Cream which you can use. The cream is thicker than a spray, but lasts longer. Check them out at www.myPETfection.com. I highly recommend them!! Hope this helps, best of luck!

Petri answered on 5/23/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Hi - Fleas can cause scratching and fur loss. There are a number of other critters that can do the same thing. You may want to see the Vet for a skin scrape of the area in question.
See here: skin scrapes and mites:
en.allexperts.com
The above link has many great suggestions.
Hope this helps.
Marie and Miss Priss