Whats a right dog for me?

I want a dog thats about the size of an american cocker spaniel.
Very low maintenace and I don't have enough time to go on long walks with it so not that energetic. But it will never be alone at home. My youngest child is 14 but my parents live in the house so the dog must be friendly. We have a nice backyard that the dog can run around in. Also I'd prefer a dog thats easy to train and that can be energetic and a lap dog too. Also I want a dog that doesn't shed.

Asked by Member 1140324 on Nov 12th 2012 Tagged dogs, type, maintainable in Breeds

Answers

Layla Lu

Beagle; needs accasional brushing, calm and intelligent, even tempered and gentle. Very friendly and sweet loving little dogs. Weighs from 17-35 pounds. Great lap dogs, love to be loyal to their owners. Trainable and determined. But they are shedders! So they'll defiantly need a brushing once or twice a week.

Layla Lu answered on 11/12/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Leo

It sounds like you should seriously consider if you really want a dog in your life.

Except for the shedding part, no one can guarantee any individual of any breed will be 1) low maintenance (dogs, as a pet, are NOT low maintenance), 2) not energetic, 3) friendly, 4) easy to train, and 5)a lap dog.

If you want a dog that doesn't shed, that really cuts down on your options, so you should start there.

Considering your requirements, you should *absolutely NOT* get a puppy, as *all* puppies are energetic and high maintenance. A puppy will need constant supervision and *will* soil in your house and *will* destroy things and *will* have behavior issues if not properly trained, socialized, and exercised. Most dogs that end up in shelters were bought as cute little puppies and abandoned when the owner realized that having a "teenage" dog (6-12 months) is A LOT of work. Don't do that to a dog.

Consider an older rescue who will need less time and attention. Maybe a bichon frise?

Leo answered on 11/14/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

How about a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel? They are happy go lucky dogs.
They have a medium activity level. They are eager to please, highly intelligent and quick learners which makes them easy to train. They aren't super high maintenance but they do need to be brushed on a daily basis and have their ears cleaned out often. They are velcro dogs and are very affectionate and loving. They are playful breeds. They are good with other people, children and dogs.

I recommend that if you get a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel, get one from a reputable breeder.

All dogs shed, even hypoallergenic ones do. Cavalier King Charles Spaniel are relatively low shedders.