What would turn a dogs tongue black?

It was pink and turned black as she isnt feeling well either.

Asked by Member 1085771 on Jan 19th 2012 in Illness & Disease

Answers

A dog's tongue can turn black for two reasons that I am aware of, both indicate serious problems needing immediate veterinary care.
One reason is extreme dehydration. This results from excessive, untreated vomiting, diarrhea OR both. If not treated the animal WILL DIE as the electrolyte balance is so far off from normal and the cells will die without proper electrolytes and/or moisture. In this case the tongue is usually quite dry appearing as well as being a dark, blackish color.
The other problem is a severe heart or blood circulation problem and the black/bluish color is from a lack of oxygen in the cells. In this case the tongue may be normally moist OR could be dry appearing as well.
BOTH of these conditions require IMMEDIATE VETERINARY CARE or your dog will die!!! I can't stress this enough...posting on the internet and waiting for a reply is not going to fix your dog, there is no home fix for extreme dehydration and/or heart failure. They both need veterinary drugs to f

I don't know, but I'd take her to a vet right now.