laila

what would cause a dog to lactate if she is not pregnant?

My grandmother has a mini pin and she recently noticed that she was lactating clear fluid from her teets. What would cause this?

Asked by laila on Dec 23rd 2007 in Other Health & Wellness

Best Answer

Cocoa Bean

Yes, as you were told before that is probably a false pregnancy...and yups,has happened to Cocoa too.I understand it is a bit of a shock if you are 100% sure the dog has not had any contact with a male dog or had puppies.Sometimes the menstrual period of a female dog is altered for reasons I dont know, but in the days after ovulation instead of sending the hormonal signal that there was no pregnancy the body delays the release of this message and the hormones that rise when a dog is carrying puppies elevate.So although the dog is not pregnant the body understood she is by the lack of the non pregnant signal and kept on with the body changes and some behavior changes too.It is very common to see your dog nesting and eating a bit more, the tits grow and she looks a bit chubby. Be careful not to hug her hard or stimulate the release of milk because this only reinforces the lactation. When your dog's hormones balance back to normal she will stop lactating. Want to fix this 100%? Spay her.

Cocoa Bean answered on Dec 24th.

Answers

Eudora

I told my Momma that Laila needs to have her Momma call the Vet. That could be a sign that something is wrong.

Eudora answered on 12/23/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Gracie

My two basset hound girls both had this same problem before they were fixed... It is called a false pregnancy, and the dogs body actually thinks that it is pregnant. The dog may lactate, nest, and even go through "labor" where they act like they are trying to have puppies. It can really be weird... the best thing you can to is comfort your dog while she's going through this and get her fixed ASAP.

Gracie answered on 12/24/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer