Mya

What would be a good, comforting bed for a dog who chews up stuffing?

My four-year-old Yellow Lab can't use a regular doggie bed because she will tear it up and the fuzz and stuffing will come pouring out all over. Sometimes, she will eat it, and that is very dangerous. What might be a good bed that she can't destroy?

Also, she will pull the stuffing and the chewed-up bed out of her dog house so we would need a bed (or maybe a good trick or command) to get her to leave her bed alone. All that my poor girl has to sleep on is a yucky towel that is shoved in the corner of her dog house!

Please help!

Yur furends,
dani and her dog, Mya

Asked by Mya on Aug 31st 2011 Tagged chew, beds, doghouse, stuffing, fluff, labrador, towel, choking, swallowing in Chewing

Answers

Many dogs don't like stuffed dog beds cause they get lumpy. I think they try to fix them and, well, destroy them instead.

I have very thin foam beds (1.5 inches thick) inside the house, covered with a cloth case. I also have a few thick, fluffy bath mats. The dogs seem to prefer the bath mats to the beds. ???

For a dog house outside a bed has to be mold, mildew and wet proof. Why don't you try a thick anti-fatigue mat, rather than a "bed". You can find them at Sears or Home Depot as flooring for work areas. Cheap, easy cut to fit and replace. Toss a thick terry bath mat in if it's cold.

Sanka- I'll Miss You

Some dogs will just tear stuff up, other dogs just tear stuff up out of boredom.

You should consider which category your dog fits into. If your dog is not getting enough exercise, they will tear stuff up no matter what you put in there.

I bought some waterproof mattress covers and put the dog beds in them. I bought the covers at walmart...they are for human beds. Much cheaper than any dog bed you can buy.

Sanka- I'll Miss You answered on 8/31/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Tanuk CGC

Highly recommend Kuranda dog beds for strong chewers. They make sturdy regular type of beds as well and chew resistant beds made out of PVC piping. Many vets, kennels, and rescues use them because they are so durable and long lasting, even with young labs!

kuranda.com

Tanuk CGC answered on 9/1/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Jaxi

My lab also loves takeing the stuffing out!
I put hay into her doghouse, she can't chew it or drag it out of her doghouse. It is also easily replaceable and cheap.

A rottin (rottweiler) Lab and I.

Jaxi answered on 9/1/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Kazba

I had trouble with dogs ripping up beds, so I bought the Kong bed at petsmart and they have not done anything to them in over a year that we have had them. IT may be worth a look for your dog.

Kazba answered on 9/1/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer