What type of dog should I get?!?!

I am a nurse in a hospital. I work 12-hour shifts at night, three times a week. I would love a dog, but I am nervous about how he/she will cope with my work schedule. Has anyone ever been in a similar situation. Does anyone recommend a dog that would be okay for that amount of time. Of course the four days I am off will not be an issue.

Asked by Member 1139833 on Nov 8th 2012 in Choosing the Right Pet

Best Answer

You should look into getting an adult dog that is house and crate trained and knows its basic commands. Do not crate a dog for 12 hours. If the dog is going to be an inside dog, install a doggie door so that the dog has access to go inside and outside throughout the day (be sure to securely fence your backyard). You should also look into hiring a dog walker 3 times a week to take your dog on a long walk.

If you get an adult dog, look into the breeds and read up about them. You should get a dog that is more laid back.

Howard answered on Nov 9th.

Answers

Well, you can get any dog, but you need to crate train it; so that when you are not at home, it would not feel anxious. Just make sure you do a proper research before making any decision to get a dog home.

NO dog should be crated for 12 hours at a time!!!!
I would strongly suggest you put off getting a dog until your schedule changes.
A possible solution would be daycare on the nights you work, but I am not aware of any daycare that is open at night.
Dogs are social companions and being left for 12 hours plus will likely create serious anxiety issues with the dog. (I am assuming you also have travel time to work and back?)
Have you considered getting a cat???

Angie

An adult dog is a great way to go and the shelters are full of wonderful dogs. The staff will be able to help match you with a dog who fits your lifestyle. I would crate train and get a dog walker or a friend to stop by to walk and play with your dog while you work your 12 hour shifts :) good luck :)

Angie answered on 11/9/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer