Azura

What to do with a found husky?

I was not sure where to put this question but I need answers. I found this beautiful old husky girl wondering the road. I brought her in to keep her from getting hit by a car. She has severe overgrown toenails. They curl up towards her paws and she definately seems to have trouble walking. She may have arthoritis as well. On top of all that alot of her tail hair is missing plus a bald spot on her back and back legs with really red inflamed skin. She also has matted fur.

Is there a rescue here in Jacksonville, FL that she can go to? So far I've only found little dog rescues. I do not have the funds available to help her. I just didn't want her hit. Please help me figure out what to do.

Asked by Azura on May 1st 2011 in Shelters & Rescue

Answers

She may have gotten out of her yard and been wandering for a long time. In that case, I'd do what I could to clean her up (maybe a grooming appt and vet check?) and then put up fliers everywhere about her. Have her scanned for a microchip, and contact Animal Control to see if anyone contacted them about a lost husky.
For more rescues, check out petfinder.com's shelter listings. There is a local search feature that you can use. This one, the Old Dog House, sounds promising.
www.theolddoghouse.org

Sounds like she has mange and has not been cared for in a long time.
This is the Petfinder Humane Society Shelter link. You can email or call the Humane Society to turn her in.
www.petfinder.com

I assume it is a kill shelter, so ask questions and keep looking.

Try these...if they can't help, they may know who can.
www.siberrescue.com
www.sibrescue.com
carmonakennels.com

sounds like she needs care you can ask your vet to fix her up a little or if they will work with your local shelter in the matter.
But, it sounds like she has been neglected alot.
Some old dogs have skin issues and this is easily treated by a vet.
google huskyrescues--then type your state.

She could of gotten out of her yard and could of been wandering for a long time. I would still put up "Found Dog" fliers just in case. Be sure to clean her up though. Giver her a bath, cut her nails, clip her, etc.

Here are some rescues -

www.siberianrescue.com

www.petfinder.com

www.petfinder.com

www.kampkritter.com

Check with your vet, they might take her in for you. Your groomer could also take her in too and try to find her a good home. I would take before and after pictures just in case there's some type of cruelty that was going on.

I would call your vet and see if they can help you out pro-bono and maybe look for a no-kill placement for her. Libby was a stray and was almost hairless, as well, due to malnutrition, and now she has a really lovely coat, but it's been a long and pretty expensive process. I'm sure this one will be a lovely dog once she gets regular meals and some attention.