what to do for bad gas in older dog

My eleven year old rottweiller suddenly has very bad gas what can i do for him and my house?

Asked by Member 1133486 on Jan 22nd 2013 in Health & Wellness

Answers

Ikan

Have you changed foods? Has anything changed in your dogs life? The simple thing to try is to change the dogs food and see what it does. As the dog gets older, things change and even food that they have eaten all of their lives, may not sit real well with them anymore. Maybe a food that has a limited ingredient formula. After that, we may want to look at medical problems, and for that you will have to check with your vet.
I hope you find something to help you and your dog. Good luck.

Ikan answered on 1/23/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Petri

You can give him Machu's Blend Dog Tea to help with gas and digestion in general. It is totally safe... you make it like regular tea, then let it cool before giving. He can drink it right out of the bowl or you can mix it in with his food. My dogs quite like the taste of it so it is my go to when they have upset stomachs, diarrhea, etc.

Petri answered on 1/23/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Try using a senior dog food which tends to be easier to digest. Also you might want to consider some probiotics to help with digestion, and possibly mixing some plain (bland) white rice with the kibble to help settle the stomach. It might take time for the dog to get used to new food, but eventually it should abate if you are feeding him the right food.