Coco

What to do about Vaccines?

I have some concerns about vaccines. My little Coco just came to live with us about a week ago. She is 1 1/2 yrs old. She came from a home who rescued her from another home that had too many dogs. Anyways, the lady that gave her to me doesn't have any paperwork for Coco. Therefore, I don't have any information on her vaccines. I'm just afraid that if she had them already that she will become ill.

What should I do?

Asked by Coco on Feb 18th 2010 Tagged vaccines, vaccinations, shots, dogvaccines, petcare in Vaccinations

Answers

K-10 Von Canein

Never vaccinate a dog for anything that it is not in extreme danger of contracting. If your dog is not killing skunks etc, there is no need for rabies vaccines. Many dogs have died from vaccinations-don't let yours be next. Also, vaccines such as distemper will last the life of your dog, most often. The 1 year and 3 year rabies shots are the same, except for the lable. Nothing different inside at all! With you, not knowing what your new dog is protected from or not protected from, I'd recommend a titer test at the vet. This test will tell you what you need to know about what the dog is vaccinated for and what not. The titer test results may prevent you from needing an additional rabies shot to get your Coco current city tags.

K-10 Von Canein answered on 2/18/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Eloise

I agree half with the above poster, about the titer at the vet. However your dog should always be vaccinated with their rabies shot. You never know if your dog will bite a human, or be bitten by an animal with rabies. Not sure what he means about "chasing skunks" many animals have rabies. I think what his main concern is over vaccinating...however I am a firm believer in vaccinating your pooch, especially if you will be socializing your dog with family, friends, and other dogs. Also, if you will be registering your dog with your town, your dog must have its rabies shot.

Eloise answered on 2/18/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Rabies can also be contracted through contact with animal droppings. Bats, rabbits and bird droppings are often infected with rabies, so it's an important shot at least once, or every three years.

I personally get titers for Jack's rabies shot as he had a bad reaction that resulted in surgery for the removal of a cancerous lump (a certain type of self-limiting cancer can develop rarely when dogs have a reaction like Jack's.)

Ultimately, though, I guess I have a bit of a chip on my shoulder about titer testing.

I'd love to see people working to change the laws in their area rather than just titer test because they feel the shots are unnecessary. What has happened is that so many people have done titers instead of vaccinating that it's getting harder and harder for people with dogs who do have legitimate reactions to be re-licensed. Los Angeles county recently rejected all titer testing as a substitute for vaccines for ANY dog.

There's a big picture issue here, I feel.

Ella Cinderella

It is the law in most states for your pet to have a rabies vaccine every one to three years depending on your state's law. Even if she has already had the shot recently, it will absolutely not hurt her to have it again. It is in you and your dogs best interest to get a DHLPP vaccine (distemper, hepatitis, leptospirosa, parvovirus, and parainfluinza). This will protect her from common upper respitory illneses she can contract from other animals. Leptospirosa is a severe illness contracted most commonly from rodent urine. Which means that if your pet were to go outside and find and drink from a bowl of water that a rat has urinated in ,then she might contract the illness and even transfer it to you! They make these vaccines for a reason so don't be afraid of them. Vets are currently working on ways to prevent vaccine reaction such as splitting the vaccines which means your pet would get one shot then receive the other a week or two later.

Ella Cinderella answered on 2/18/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 2 Report this answer

Lola

I recommend getting a titer test at the vet. It is very important for your dog to get its yearly vaccinations. I used to work at an animal hospital and I have seen some very horrible cases occur simply because the owner did not get his/her pet vaccinated.

Do the titer test as soon as you can. :)

Lola answered on 2/18/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

While titers are safer, most vets don't like to bother. The dangers of shots are highly over rated. Just take her to the vet and get the shots.