Clyde

What to do about the wandering dogs in our neighborhood???

We recently moved to a new neighborhood with lots of doggies and lots of fenced in yards. This is the third time in two months i've seen loose dogs wandering down my street.The dogs clearly are not strays and belong somewhere. We don't know too many of our neighbors yet and I never really sure which house the dogs are from. I don't want to bring them to my house ( Eva is very territorial) what do I do? Pick them up and take them to the humane society or let them keep wandering the neighborhood ( its a big sprawling southern one)?? I want to help but I dont want to me or my dogs at risk. Any suggestions?

Asked by Clyde on Nov 30th 2011 in Shelters & Rescue

Answers

Becca

Are there Leash Laws where you live ?

If there are, you should call Animal Control and have these loose dogs picked up. It's not your responsibility to police your neighborhood in that way.

Responsible owners may have one get loose ONCE !
A second or third time indicates complacency and irresponsibility, and the Owner should pay for that in some way or another. Anyone who would allow this to reoccur, dissevers to loose them.

Becca answered on 11/30/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Becca, isn't that a little harsh? The dogs deserve to die because they have dopey owners? (Because that's what happens to most stray dogs that get picked up by AC.)

If it was me, and the dogs didn't seem to be in danger, or dangerous themselves, I would leave it be. A few dogs wandering a sleepy neighborhood is not really a threat. They probably know their way around and stay out of people's way. But if they ARE threatening you, then yes, I would call AC. Letting aggressive dogs roam is not cool.

I just don't think calling AC on someone is a good first step if there isn't a real threat, because people can get angry and retaliate, which is not how you want to establish yourself in a new neighborhood.

I agree with Bruno and am certainly glad I don't live in Becca's neighborhood!! Just as an example, I have elderly neighbors with a GSD and, in spite of their property being fenced, she manages to escape often by racing thru their legs as they open a door to get the mail or whatever.
These are certainly caring, humane dog owners and they love their dog and do the best they can considering their age. Calling animal control is not going to serve any purpose other than causing them to lose their dog and/or starting a neighborhood war. As good neighbors should, we merely take the dog back to them when she gets loose. She is causing no problems with anyone when she is loose.
If these dogs are not causing any issues and you have only see this happen three times in two months, I wouldn't get excited about it. Perhaps as you become more familiar with the neighborhood you can find out who their owners are and give them a call when you see the dogs, in the way of Southern hospitality

In your case , I think I would try and figure out where the dog lives and maybe try to walk them home. Maybe they did just get out of the yard. if you talk to the owners just say you are worried and brought them home. If this does nothing, then I guess the owner does not care. I would not bring them in your house, that is just asking for problems. Good luck, I hope you find somethign to work for all here.