What to do about constant Diarrhea.

Since we have gotten our puppy in January she has had diarrhea. We have taken her to the vet and had her poop tested. They found nothing in the poop. I have tried to give her three different kinds of dog food. She is 6 months old and still has it. I just don't know what to do. I'm also having a hard time potty training her. We have tried crate training, bells on the door, clicker, etc. I don't want to give her away but she is destroying my carpets and the diarrhea just makes it even worse and harder to clean.

Asked by Member 1081523 on Apr 6th 2012 in Housebreaking

Answers

Carter

i give my dog pumpkin with his food every night, it makes his poop harder. that could be something you can try. If you also haven't tried blue buffalo dog food i would also recommend that too along with the pumpkin.You can get a coupon for 5 dollars at blue buffalo.com If you consider buying the dog food go on a weekend to a petstore near you that sells it(bluebuffalo website will tell you where you can buy the food stores near you) and look for a blue buffalo rep.

Carter answered on 4/6/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Switching brands of dog food quickly may be at the very least a contributing factor--it's normal for dogs to get diarrhea when switching to another brand of food. It's usually recommended to make the switch the food gradually, mixing a little more of the new food in each day until the old food is gone.

Have you tried a bland diet to see if it goes away, something like boiled chicken breast and white rice? If so, she may have a food allergy/intolerance. Have you tried any food enzymes or supplements to help with digestion? If you post on the health forum on this site, we can answer back & forth, which we can't do in this section. Give as much info about what you've tried.

Your vet needs to do more testing than simply a feacal smaear for worms. Ask for a cTLI. If this has been going on for months it is more than just food. There is a possibility of a panceatic enzyme insufficiency. I am including a link to a very informative site about EPI. Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency.
Adding a probiotic/enzyme to his food could reestablish the beneficial gut flora. I use Prozyme.
If he has diarhea it will be difficult to potty train...he can't help it! I hope you can find a solution.
<a href="www.globalspan.net Link/a>