what to do about an aggressive puppy

My 4 month old Chihuahua / Jack Russell has her moments when she just goes turbo & will not listen. She gets very aggressive @ times not sure what to do about this. I wanted a small nice loving dog. But she is turning into the lillte. I feel like giving her to someone else. I am trying to teach her not to get on the furniture please can someone help???

Asked by Member 857016 on Aug 26th 2009 in Behavior & Training

Answers

Most likely, whatever she's doing is out of play, not aggression. But I need to know exactly what she's doing that you deem aggressive before I can actually help.

B.J., CGC

A chihuahua/jack russell is not going to be a couch potato no matter what you do! They are both extremely active, determined breeds. That said, exercise, exercise, exercise!!! You need to keep her occupied all the time! At four months, if you are not right there with her, watching her, she needs to be contained so that she cannot do as she pleases. Remember, Rome wasn't built in a day and a puppy doesn't become an adult in a day either. It takes hard work and attention and repetition.

B.J., CGC answered on 8/27/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Right now she is a puppy so she has lots of growing not only physically but mentally.
So, training over the next few months is key. Being consistent on what you want is also going to help. As a puppy you have to expect them to forget. Taking her for walks when she is better and stronger is going to help burn off extra energy. For now, play with her inside. Buy a flossie rope and have her chase that around, then take her out to potty as that will make her want to go.
For furniture, buy a doggie fluffy mat, place that next to the couch. Tell her a command like Place/Mat/ or down.Tap the mat with your fingers. Then when she gets on the mat give her some tid bit of chicken, pay her for a job well done.

Interesting mix. A highly energetic, dominant, terrier mixed with a nervous wreck. You do have a problem as this is no lap dog. A Jack Russell or JRT mix has to be treated, trained and exercised as if it were a big dog. I strongly recommend taking a training class. Start exercising the dog everyday. A one mile walk twice a day is fine for a 4 month old. Walk her before classes and she will behave better. She should walk on a regular 6 foot leash at your side. Don't use a flexi-lead outside your yard.
Establish rules and stick to them, including the off the furniture rule. The pup should always be crated or supervised, on leash if needed.