Nitara Ink

What should I use as treats for my puppy?

I am working on training my new pitbull puppy. I have some treats, but they are hard and they take too long for her to chew and I can't train her properly. What can I use to reward her that is cheap, something she will like, and something she can crew a little faster. She is still small so it would be nice if it was a little treat. I was thinking like some chicken. Even though it may not be cheep and I am not sure she can eat it. I am just using it as an example.

Asked by Nitara Ink on Jul 12th 2010 Tagged treats in Treats

Answers

Cobe

For soft, cheap and quick reward treats, you can try boiled or microwaved hot dogs and cut them into tiny pieces. Make sure the hot dogs are cooled off before giving it to her. Another idea is to get American sliced cheese and do the same in breaking them into teeny tiny pieces.

Cobe answered on 7/13/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Brutus

Hot dog pieces and American Cheese is a great idea for a treat, but be careful about how much you are giving her. Its not healthy for a puppy to be eating a lot of cheese or hot dog, so going to your local petstore and finding soft treats may help. It would be reccomended to find something healthy for your puppy to have.

I highly suggest you get Wellness treats. Although they might not be the cheapest brand, its very good for your puppy. They created a Just for Puppy treat that is soft and easy for puppies to chew. Here is some more information about these treats: www.wellnesspetfood.com

Gooberlicious treats are good for puppies, too, but not the healthiest. They are very soft and can be chewed easily: www.petsmart.com

If you need any other suggestions or have any questions, just Paw Mail me on my page and I'll gladly help you. Good luck!

Brutus answered on 7/13/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

I use whatever I can buy and cook. Try treats will choke her.
I buy bulk chicken breasts, no bones and dice them.
Or you can buy cheap hamburger. I put about 1 lb of hamburger in a big fry pan as a giant patty. I cook it well done, then I let it rest for about 20 min. and cut it in sections.
Or you can use cooked beef hotdogs, I boil out the fat and dice them in small pieces. I boil them because they are not so fatty and they are easier to cut and digest. Dogs get the poops.
Or you can find clearanced sections at walmart for round steaks. I cook them well done or rare and let them set up before cutting.
Ham is cool too. But, I rinse off some of the salt and I use it spareingly at times. salt can give them poos too.
My dogs should love me the way I feed them :)

Hot dogs have a lot of fat and salt in them and aren't good for training since you'll likely be feeding a lot of them over the course of the training.

I really like a treat called Zukes. They're all natural soft pellet type treats and are PERFECT for feeding for training. They only take a second to eat and are great for small mouths.

And, actually I don't think chicken is a bad idea at all! We used that with our dogs and it worked well. We just boiled up some plain, skinless chicken breast and cut it into very small cube size pieces and put it in a plastic baggie. Easy to fit in your pocket. That's a very mild treat for her and it would work well for training.

Why not bake your own dog treats? You can check out a lot of recipes in my group's threads -

www.dogster.com

www.dogster.com

Or, just take a look at my group and join in!

www.dogster.com

If you prefer store bought treats, then here are some brands I highly recommend -

Solid Gold Tiny Tots
Honest Kitchen
Complete Natural Nutrition
Canidae
Timberwolf
Merrick

Solid Gold - www.solidgoldhealth.com

Honest Kitchen - www.thehonestkitchen.com

Complete Natural Nutrition -

www.completenaturalnutrition.com

Canidae - www.canidae.com

Timberwolf - www.timberwolforganics.com

Merrick - www.merrickpetcare.com

These are some of the best treats out there. They are healthy, natural, and organic treats.

Please pick the right treats and foods to feed your dog. If you have any questions, paw-mail me.

Pippa

For small dog, or any dog (mine's a siberian husky and enjoys them) I highly recommend Zuke's Mini Naturals, they seem to be tasty but above all they are really tiny, low on calories and ideal for training since you can give many of them without overloading your little pup with calories. The peanut butter ones are my dog's favorites.

Pippa answered on 5/3/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer