Rory

What should I throw in the slow cooker with my dog's chicken?

To save money on wet food I mix chicken with my dog's (1 year old border collie) Blue Buffalo dry food. I slow cook a whole chicken until the meat is shred-able and I remove the bones. Then I throw it in some tupperware and he gets a scoop of chicken and a scoop of dry food. He's absolutely loved this ever since I started. My roommate though complains that it smells bad the whole time the chicken is cooking. I was wondering if anyone had suggestions on what to add to the slow cooker that would give off a more pleasant aroma? I read cayenne pepper and oregano are good for dogs. Any other spices and/or foods to try or avoid?

Asked by Rory on Feb 1st 2012 Tagged food, chicken, slow, cook, herb, oregano, cayenne in Homemade Food

Answers

Mr. Jake the Beagle

when i make chicken in the crock pot i use aromatic veggies like celery and carrots. You cannot use Onions that's poisonous to doggies. You could douse the chicken in broth or water so it boils instead of cooks? and you could add some potatoes if you wanted to stretch your chicken further. Dogs like potatoes. Oranges is another good aromatic dogs can eat. You could make a cirtus based chicken cooked on orange slices with orange slices stuffed in the cavity.

Mr. Jake the Beagle answered on 2/1/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

You should cook rice, sweet potatoes, pumpkin, apples and bananas.

Smells bad when the chicken is cooking? What's wrong with her? :) I don't find the smell of chicken offensive at all.

Bay leaf and rosemary smell nice and go well with chicken, though rosemary can trigger seizures in some epileptic dogs (this is also true of lavender and peppermint, plants in the same family.)

Garlic also goes well with chicken and dogs love it. While in large amounts it's poisonous (just like onions) a little bit for flavor and aroma doesn't hurt.

Tomato sauce might also mask the smell of chicken, and most dogs like it. The canned concentrated tomato paste is the cheapest type.

Most dogs need whole grains like organic brown rice,barley and oats. I add cyrofood from standard processing for added nutrition and brewers yeast to a raw food diet.