Charlie

What should i feed my siberian husky/german shepherd mix?

My puppy is about 5 months old and we want to give him the best food. Right now we're giving him natural balance but its really expensive and a lot of people are telling us that there is better food out there that we could give him. We want the food to be really good for him and have the supplements in it to help prevent hip dysplasia and other diseases his breeds may be prone to. Does anyone have suggestions?

Asked by Charlie on Jan 20th 2010 Tagged siberianhusky, germanshepherd, food in Food & Nutrition

Answers

I feed Squ'mey Orijen Large Breed Puppy. It is expensive, but you feed less than lower quality foods. If I buy a large bag a month it works out to be $2.16/day which is not too much to spend on my guy. It is a grain free food & the first 4 ingredients are deboned chicken, chicken meal, deboned turkey, turkey meal. Their website is www. orijen.ca. It has a lot of info on their products ( they also make Acana) & I encourage you to read their white paper for the info it contains.There are other high quality foods, so it is up to you to decide which is right for you & your dog. Food questions always elicit several opinions, so bear that in mind when reading responses. My personal experience is that pup's stools firmed up, his coat is glossier, & he does not scratch as much as he did on a food that was heavy in grain & corn.

Chocolate

Natural Balance is a decent brand. Why not stick with it?

Chocolate answered on 1/20/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

It makes no sense to spend money you can't afford on a food that may not even be as good as cheaper ones. All the talk about better foods is based on the ingredients, not how well dogs do on them or even what nutrients are available. You can put the finest human grade cuts of meat in a food, but if it doesn't have enough of the amino acids the internal organs are rich in, it will be inferior to a food made with byproducts.

Much of the information about dog nutrition comes from somebody selling something. Before there was so much hype on the net, I saw the fine results of dog guides that were eating a common brand of dog food. The service dog schools aren't selling anything. They are giving away highly trained dogs that they will have to replace when they are no longer able to work. They feed common brands, switch to adult food at 4 months, and keep the dogs lean. They X-Ray every one at a year old. I suggest you choose a common brand and ignore the hype.

Mulder

Charlie, before you take the advise of switching to a "cheap" food, note of this:

Many "cheaper" Walmart brand type foods contain ingredients such as Citric Acid (a known contributor to the VERY serious condition Bloat -which your pup, being a GSD mix, is already more prone to-), Corn/Wheat Gluten Meal, which is highly likely to cause allergies in dogs, AND were the ingredients found to be contaminated in the food recalls a few years back (the ones that caused liver damage in thousands of pets across the country).

Unlabeled "meat-meal", or "by-product meal" can literally come from anywhere. The dirty, cancer-infected scabs on a chicken's rear end can be labeled as "meat meal" in dog food. For all we know, "meat meal" can be ground up cats and dogs that were picked up as roadkill on the side of the road.

This isn't said to be snoby- it is what it is.

There are many good foods that aren't super expensive. I recommend looking into Whole Earth Farms if you can find it in your area.

Mulder answered on 1/21/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Charlie, Natural Balance is a pretty good food. There are probably better ones out there, but they are going to be more expensive. I honestly think NB is a pretty good food and you won't really have any problem with it if you want to keep him on it.

I personally like Wellness, but I've fed NB before while we were testing Jack for food allergies by doing elimination diets. Wellness might be about the same price, but check into it.

Unfortunately, there IS such a thing as bad dog food and you should definitely avoid it. Those who say there isn't any difference haven't kept up with modern dog health developments. It's like saying human medications from the 1930s are just as good as modern medications. It's just not true.

Finally, I just have to say you are TOO cute, Charlie! Your little picture makes me smile every time I see it. Ha!

Katie

Jack is right, as usual - you are aDORable, Charlie!

My trainer, who is not selling anything, and who has worked with numerous guide dog organizations, as well as studying modern canine health and nutrition, has recommended avoiding the following ingredients:
Corn
Wheat
Soy
Gluten
Beet pulp

The brands she likes to recommend are Solid Gold, Taste of the Wild, Evo, Wellness, and several others that are approved by the AAFCO as nutritionally complete. She does not get kickbacks or any kind of commission for recommending food - she simply observes what works best with the dogs she cares for.

In one case, she was able to improve the behavioral health of a service dog by improving the quality of her food.

Your best bet is to read the ingredients, because as Aster points out, there are needed nutrients in organ meats, and meat meal is not necessarily bad. I like to browse www.dogfoodanalysis.com to see various brands' contents all in one site, along with reviews.

Katie answered on 1/21/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer