What recipes do you recommend for a dog that only has her bottom canines left? Food and treats?

My dog had to have her upper teeth taken last year and this year had to have the bottoms taken out, she does have her bottom canines left. I think it is due to her Addison's. I am contemplating cooking for her, but am looking for recommendations for recipes for food and treats and recommendations on food in general. She has been eating regular hard food with a little water for the past year, so I may try that still. Thanks!

Asked by Member 1119920 on Jul 10th 2012 Tagged food, cooking, noteeth, recommendations in Pet Food

Answers

Many toothless dogs still eat hard food- that's not really surprising, since even dogs with full dentition often don't chew it at all, just gulp.

If eating kibble is hard for her though, there's nothing wrong with switching to canned, refridgerated, or frozen commercial food, or a homecooked diet. You could also soften her kibble in warm water for a few minutes before serving it. But don't wet more that she'll eat at one meal, wet kibble can grow a lot of bacteria if it sits around. For homecooking, I always like to pass on this website- lots of useful info:
dogaware.com

For treats, I'd use soft/chewy stuff like bits of cheese, boiled egg, tuna, etc or soft commercial treats. (I like Zukes brand.)

Shinji

My 12 yo maltese had all teeth extracted two days ago so she literally has no teeth left.
My vet advised just soft food like normal canned food but ive also asked if i can feed her what i've cooked in prep for her homecoming after surgery, she said it sounds good.
And this is what ive cooked for her;
Boiled chicken breast, finely chopped broccoli and carrots, and some cooked rice. Once rice starts to thicken (boil for at least 15-20mins) i put everything into blender and made into like a puree. And my dog loves it. She ate it from the day she got back from the vet and she even ate her daughters share!
Im sure your dog might not even need blending since she still has her canines (but not sure if canines would be even used for chewing) but blending it makes it so easy to eat.
BUT be warned, after eating, their mouth needs bit of wiping lol

Shinji answered on 7/10/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Max

Sninji is right about chicken, rice veggies just wanto add seedless watermelon is a great treat

Max answered on 7/11/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer