Max

What qualifies as mistreating a puppy as far as when Animal Control can step in?

Although I do not suppose my fellow pet lovers on Dogster would be considered "impartial" when it comes to mistreating a puppy, I just wonder if it's my opinion because I treat my animals like my children or if she really needs to be reported. My neighbor got a cocker spaniel puppy and she keeps it out in the screen porch (cement floors & open screens) and even when she is home the poor thing is out there crying and yelping for attention. I hate to start trouble but it's breaking my heart hearing it all day since I work at home. She feeds him and I am sure she leaves him with water and a place to lie down. She's not a horrible person or anything but she just doesn't seem to know how to care for a small breed puppy or any puppy for that matter. They are not really friendly neighbors or else I would just offer to look in on him or take him over here but I would probably just be the "nosy neighbor" if I said anything. What should I do?

Asked by Max on Apr 25th 2011 in Animal Welfare

Answers

That's tough. It doesn't sound like she's doing anything to harm the puppy and she seems to be taking care of it in terms of meetings its physiological needs. If it were me, I'd probably take over some dessert or something and offer to pop in to let the dog out and play with it while she's at work? Can't hurt, right? If during that time you see any signs of neglect, I would call Animal Control/ASPCA.

I agree with Libby. Most animal cruelty laws require food, water and shelter. It sounds like there is no problem with any of these being provided for this pup. Sadly, love is not a requirement.

LUCY

Depending on how old the dog is it could be in pottytraining, like how some people crate dogs durring housebreaking she may be keeping him in that one room, or he may be sick. but yes as long as he has food water and shelter and isnt being physically harmed there are no laws being broken,if there is no reason for him to be stuck out there alone though it is sad, why get a dog if your going to ignore them...whats the point? Maybe suggest a puppy play date explaining your dog would love some exercise time and a buddy!

LUCY answered on 4/25/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer