what people food can make dogs healthy.

Asked by Member 858640 on Jul 21st 2009 in Homemade Food

Answers

People food, as in scraps? They don't. But they're fine for a snack.

Now, something like a raw or homecooked diet...these are generally better options than a kibble diet. Raw, IMO, is the very best option, since it's made up of what dogs eat in the wold. Homecooked is great too, but meat loses much of it's nutrience when cooked.
I've been feeding prey model raw for a year, and it's helped my Papillon mix immensely. Shinier and softer coat, small and less frequent poops, better breath, cleaner teeth, more energy, etc.
I'll show you a PM about the very basics of raw that I sent to another curious member:
"It's a natural diet made up of raw meat, organs, bones, and--in some cases--fruits and veggies. It's pretty muchly a do-it-yourself diet, though some pet stores do carry frozen, premade raw. Some prefer this because they don't have to gather the ingredients themselves. I'm told that the premade raw includes vegetables.
I personally do raw home-prepared. There are two trains of thought in the raw diet--one is called BARF, which is Biologically Appropiate Raw Food or Bones and Raw Food. This includes veggies in addition to raw meat and concentrates on balancing it all in one meal rather than over time.

The other is PM, Prey Model. This train of thought believes that the best way to go is 80% meat, 10% bone, and 10% organ (5% liver, 5% other secreting organ such as brain or kidney).
These percentages are a rough estimate of what dogs would eat in the wild.
You can feed meat from a grocery store, you just need to be sure to feed a variety. Organic meat is best, as it's free of chemicals and hormones, but if you can't afford to buy organic, then feeding regular grocery store meat is still better than kibble, IMO.

The cons? If you feed a grocery store brand of kibble, raw is probably more expensive (depending on the size of your dog, how much he eats, etc); it can be incovenient to store when travelling (especially if you're not anywhere near a grocery store to get fresh meat), it is more work than feeding kibble (though not outragiously so).
A common concern expressed is the safety with raw meat. Truth be told, a dog's digestive system is designed for digesting raw meat, and to kill any bacteria in it. A healthy, normal dog will have no problems with raw food. Some dogs do have meat allergies, so that's one thing watch out for.

Some argue that dogs have "evolved" to where a cooked diet is best, but that to me is like saying that humans will "evolve" to where a fast food diet is nutritionally complete--it can't be done.

The raw diet is a pretty controversial one, and as such it is important to look at both sides. Most modern medicine vets are against raw, but then they aren't really taught much about it or about nutrition for that matter. Still, look at both sides very closely. [...]
One needs to do some research on raw before they can feed it, as there are guidelines to go by.
Here's the raw diet forum on Dogster, and especially look for a post by Gio titled "So you are interested in feeding raw" (www.dogster.com ) for a list of links on this diet."

I don't know very much about the homecooked diet, so I'll just give you the link to the homecooked forum on Dogster, where you can get some advice on that:
www.dogster.com

None. Modern dog foods are carefully formulated to provide the complete and balanced diet dogs need. Their nutritional requirements are well know. The large companies have the resources to analyze the final product and actually do test feedings.

There is no way a dog owner can come close to that. At the most, you should only give token amounts of your food to your dog to help bonding.

Most service dog partners carefully follow the instructions to feed nothing by dog food,and their dogs lead long, healthy lives.

Patchs

The ONLY ppl food I give my dogs is: raw carrots in small peices. I use them fr training treats from time to time

Patchs answered on 7/21/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 2 Report this answer

Sunny

I don't usually feed sunny any people food the only exception is when I’m teaching a new trick (I feed him little pieces of cut up hotdogs or cheese) the main reason is because two much gives him gas.

WOW Grey Dawn Treader.... that must of took a long time. thanks!

Sunny answered on 7/21/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Chocolate

Contrary to what some others are saying, the only foods you need to avoid are processed,packaged,foods for humans,chocolate,onion,avocado,and the other ushual suspects.

I do give 10 year old dog Chocolate a chunk of raw meat once a week ontop of his grain free kibble. One raw egg added to his kibble once a week, sometimes peanut butter, sometimes he gets a dish of goat's milk which he slirps up in a split second(only give goats milk as it's lactose content is very low). He's doing very good on a base of good quality Wellness kibble and a variety of fresh food snacks.

Chocolate answered on 7/21/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 3 Report this answer

Buddy

Ok the people saying you shouldnt give a god human food Are COMPLETELY AND TOTALLY WRONG. You can give your pooch a raw egg every once and a while it will make his coat shiny. Boiled Non breaded chicken breast with rice is a bland but healthy. Raw carrots are good for there Vision. I feed my dogs canned green beans a lot also. The truth is just nothing prossessed is good for dogs. Make sure its good for you to be good for them! And remember the list of dangerous food not to give them !!!! Smooch your pooch

Buddy answered on 7/21/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 2 Report this answer

Sassy

Any plain meat, vegetable or fruit excepting the poisonous macadamia nut, avocado, onion, garlic and grape [all I can remember off the top of my head, may be others] are far better foods for dogs than dog food. The less processed our food is the better and dog food is highly processed. Grains and starchy vegetables are like candy for dogs, they love them but aren't very good for them.

If you want to improve your dog's diet add in canned salmon, mackerel or sardines as the Omega 3 is high and most kibble hasn't nearly enough to meet a dog's needs. Just substitute 25% of the calories of the kibble for the fish at the most, less is fine as well. Mixing an egg, cooked or raw, into kibble once or twice a week is good as well.

Sassy answered on 7/21/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 4 Report this answer

I would take whole RAW chicken, cut it up into approx 4-5 meals (depending on the size of your dog) and feed it to your dog (bones, liver, giblets and all). It is a cheap protein source and balanced in the calcium/phosphorous ratio.

Drysdale Krystal Waters

We feed a variety of raw meat (invariably beef because we farm this on our life-style block) and vegetables (mainly carrot and peas). They used to get brown rice but we stopped this as it seemed to make some of them put on weight. We don't feed chicken because it's too expensive. It's something they would get as a treat (and their normal meals would be adjusted accordingly). We also feed raw egg occasionally but you have to be careful of your source. Raw egg can cause salmonella poisoning. We've never had any problems (over several decades) with eggs from our supermarkets (either in Auckland or in Rotorua) and we don't have problems with our own free-range ones.

Never feed your dog raw fresh chicken--only frozen--in case of campylobacter. I know someone who lost a couple of dogs through this, and nearly lost more. It was heartbreaking.

Drysdale Krystal Waters answered on 12/22/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer