My dog wags his tail so much that it hits things and bleeds? What can I do?

Asked by Member 567085 on Feb 6th 2008 in Health & Wellness

Best Answer

Felix-Rescue for Adoption! AVA

Felix the rescue did the same thing when he got here. He kept popping it open on the fence and squirting blood everywhere. I had to put triple antibiotic ointment on the open sores, wrap a gauze square around the sores, and vet wrap it. I tried just vet wrapping the first 1/4 of the tail where he was hitting it (on the end) but with wagging it so hard, he was able to fling that vet wrap off in a few seconds. So, I had to vet wrap his WHOLE tail. I changed it if it got nasty but it was wrapped for several weeks. Once it healed, he was better and so far, has not managed to do it anymore. As for prevention, if he's doing it in a wire kennel, try a plastic one. There isn't anything you can do about a chain link fence and try to remove what he seems to be hitting it on. I know that Felix was hitting it against his sides too, but now that has subsided...maybe because the wounds healed. You might just have to treat the sores as they come with the vet wrap, that's what I did and it worked.

Felix-Rescue for Adoption! AVA answered on Feb 6th.

Answers

Ask the vet about it. Vet doen't usually amputate tails of dogs that aren't puppies, but since this is a health risk, he probably will suggest it.

Amputation would be a very last resort.

I'm wondering if he repeatedly hits his tail against a particular surface, or if he is constantly hitting it against things.

First, you can use some gauze and white surgical tape to tape up the injury so that it is protected against further hitting and infection. Don't wrap it too tightly, just enough to cover the injury.

I think that sometimes tail injuries are the hardest to heal since the chances of a repeat injury are high.

It may be that his tail is just being re-injured and once it heals, it won't be such a problem anymore. It depends on how long this has been going on or whether or not there is a specific area in the house/backyard that this happens more.

If there isn't improvement in the injury within a few days, it is definitely time to take him to the vet.

I have had success in wrapping the tail in a little gauze and then cover it with Zonas tape. You have to ask your Vet to show you how to anchor it to the tail. Then you take a plastic hair roller and put the tail tip inside the roller to protect it and then cover that with more Zonas tape. This way it won't bleed. You may want to check with your Vet how often you should change it. Another thing is to try and ignore your dog if he gets too excited and starts whipping that tail. Let him calm down. I have found that helpd too. Good luck!

Winston

This is called "happy tail" Where i work. What we do is ignore the dog, sounds terrible, but it calms them down. There is a type or wrap thats made of latex, petsmart sells it and if you wrap it with that it will fix the problem. Try polysporin to keep it from getting infected. Labradors seem to get happy tail the most, and the most effective way to make them calm down is to ignore them until they do, and once their calm offer praise. Good luck!!

Winston answered on 2/6/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer