What kind of crate would you buy for traveling a metal one or the plastic one?

Does it even matter which one?

Asked by Member 832164 on Nov 8th 2009 in Car Travel

Answers

I don't think it matters. The metal crate would be better and stronger than the plastic one though, but most people use plastic crate. But, I would use a metal crate.

Both have their fans, and either will do the job. I like the plastic crates. The airlines insist on them if you ever fly. I also think they are more of the den dogs love.

For travel, we dissemble the plastic crate, nest the halves and throw all out stuff in it. I even made a platform with wheels for hauling it into a hotel or somewhere. No trying to find a baggage cart. You can buy ones with wheels built in and easy to use cams to dissembling it.

Plastic crates won't scratch a floor either.

We travel a lot with our dog, and are very happy with our plastic crate. The best place for a dog to ride in a car is in a crate fastened down in the back.

Milo, CGC

I agree with Aster. I like the plastic ones better. Milo sleeps in his open door plastic crate. The door is metal but I know I'd rather be in a plastic kennel over a metal one!

Milo, CGC answered on 11/8/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Ty

The plastic ones are required for airlines like the post before said. It is a bit lighter but it is easier for the dog to get out of if you have one that is an escape artist.

The metal one are good if you are limited to space and want to fold it down for storage and they seem to last longer then the plastic ones. I also think the dogs can get more air inthese crates.

So it is just a matter of what you want and how you are going to use it.

Ty answered on 11/8/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

COCO

If it were me Mari I would get a metal one because it seems to me that he/she would be able to chew through a plastic one. Metal ones just seem to be better for some reason I'm not sure why. I hope this is helpful to you.

COCO answered on 11/8/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer