What is wrong with my dog? She is 12 and all my friends and family say its heartworms.She has a hard time breathing...

she has these bad coughing fits and can't get her breath. Now just today she has been having a hrad time breathing at all. what do u think it is?

Asked by Member 611025 on Mar 22nd 2008 in Illness & Disease

Best Answer

What's wrong with your dog is it needs to see a vet before it dies...& what else is wrong is you're an idiot...Is it that your dog isn't worth the money or not worth you time?
I feel so sorry for you dog.

answered on Mar 22nd.

Answers

We cannot give a proper diagnosis since we cannot examine her, but the vet can. Plus, the vet has knowledge and learning and years of experience that many of us on here don't have. Take your dog to the vet, ASAP!
I will say what I think it is, but don't count it as fact. I may be wrong.
If your dog is a small breed, it could be a collasping trachea. Or heartworms.
Instead of standing here asking questions when your dog could be dying, take an emergency trip to the vet. THIS IS IMPORTANT!!!

Risa W-FDM/MF RE RL1 CA CGC

It could be any number of things. And the only way you'll know is to get your dog to the vet ASAP. If she's having trouble breathing I wouldn't wait another minute to get her in.

Heartworms can cause breathing problems but so can lung cancer or other diseases. You won't know until she's evaluated by a vet. There's no way to get answers or treatment online.

Good luck.

Risa W-FDM/MF RE RL1 CA CGC answered on 3/22/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

lena

It could be kennel cough or any number of things At age 12 you better hurry to the vet....Even a chest cold could be fatal!!

lena answered on 3/23/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Clay R.I.P. my handsome boy!!

It could be any number of things but your dog really needs to see a Vet ASAP.your dog could be suffering from heartworm,congestive heart failure,cancer or any number of things. For a dog to have a hard time breathing isn't fair to contniue to let things go.If you had a hard time breathing you would be right into the ER or into your Dr. right away.Since your dog has given you 12 loyal years you owe it to your dog to get it some help ASAP.
We wish the best for your dog!

Clay R.I.P. my handsome boy!! answered on 3/23/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Lady

As other have already said, it could be any number of things causing this coughing issue. My neighbors dog has a hard time breathing and has the same kind of coughing fits you describe. It's sad to see him. His belly is all distended and hard. I've tried to get my neighbor to get her dog to the vet but she flat out says that she doesn't want to know. Her fear and inaction is abusing her dog but she doesn't see it that way. If it's heartworm, it's treatable. You have not told us how long this has been going on, and your dog is up there in years. It would be best for you to get her to the vet as soon as you can.
Good Luck

Lady answered on 3/23/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Please, PLEASE take your dog to the vet. The vet is the ONLY person qualified to diagnois your dog with any medical issue and the only person qualified to treat the dog to get her better.

Clearly, she is suffering and every moment you delay in getting her to the vet is neglectful.

Please take her in as soon as possible.

I hope things turn out okay for her.

To Lady,
I would bet any amount of money your neighbors dog has either cardiomyapathy or mitral valve disease, as I am going through this with my dog. The dog is suffering and the hard distended belly is from blood back flow from the heart to the liver. If she does not take her dog to the vet, then call the ASPCA. Denying her dog veterinary care is cruelty and against the law. Her dog is suffering and will die if not treated. There is a small window of survival and no cure for this disease, but medication can lengthen the dogs life and help him to live comfortably. Please help this dog. Standing by is just as cruel as what the owner is doing.