Kasey

What is wrong with my dog (episodes of constant licking/hiccuping)?

My dog (2 1/2 year old Sheltie/Rat Terrier mixed) has these episodes of hiccuping and licking EVERYTHING in sight non-stop. When they happen, it usually happens twice a night. She also acts really weird, sometimes she has random muscle spasms or I can just tell she's not herself. We called the vet the first time it happened and he said bring her in to see him in the morning. We did and it proceeded to happen multiple days that week, he said that he thinks it was probably indigestion and to bring her back if it happens again and he'll run some tests for seizures or other problems. It's been a few weeks but happened twice tonight again. Has this happened to anyone else? Any ideas what it may be?

Asked by Kasey on Aug 6th 2013 in Other Health & Wellness

Answers

I would post this on the health forum on this site. Did the vet see it while it was happening? It could be nausea, gas, indigestion like the vet suggested, or something else. Did the vet prescribe anything for Kasey?

NA'vi

Strange problem !
I would suggest that you keep very accurate records on what she ate, and water consumption. Be sure not to let her eat anything that you don't put in front of her.
You also should take Video of her actions (cell phone/whatever) to let the Vet view.

NA'vi answered on 8/8/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Have the vet conduct tests to have an accurate diagnosis and so that appropriate medication can be given.

It sounds like gas. Have you noticed if she wolfs her food down really fast? If so, try for a piece of kibble a little bit bigger so she cannot swallow the pieces whole and so her body can absorb more nutrients. There are also silver balls called portion pacers that go in the dog's food bowl and help them to eat slower, lessening the problem. If you can't find one locally try online, they are not that expensive. I'm not sure what she's eating, but if it's a grocery store food I would graduate to a higher-quality food like Nutro Max (a small bag of perhaps lamb to start). ^_^

I had a Shih Tzu who had similar problems. We found it was seizures for her. Since you say she acts weird and it looks like muscle spasms it may very well be seizures. My dog was obviously having seizures, but you dog may have very mild seizures. After a seizure, they will walk around as if they don't quite know where they are... really strange behavior. I hope it's not seizures for your pup. I have a friend whose dog has mild seizures but his are not bad enough to require treament. Good luck with your pooch.