what is the price range for a texas blue lacy puppy?

I'm just wanting to know what to look at spending to buy a registered Blue Lacy.

Asked by Member 758418 on Oct 24th 2008 in Texas Blue Lacy

Answers

I'm not sure of their price, but I wanted to tell you that
you might be able to find one at a shelter. Shelters are much cheaper than breeders.
There's nothing wrong with buying from a breeder though, as long as it's a reputable one.
cookiemiller.tripod.com

Mattie

Instead of promoting breeding- The best idea would be go to www.petfinder.com there are over 171,229 of dogs in desperate needs of homes from rescue groups or dying shelter so you are probably bound to find just the one for you. There are some Blue Lacys a few examples might be
www.petfinder.com
www.petfinder.com
but of course there are tons more I just wanted to show you a few of your options- just a note if you see a dog that it not in your driving distance that you really want most rescue groups have a transport system to get the dogs where they need to be. Also many shelters have waiting list if you tell them exactly what you want; they willl call if the particular dog comes in. BEST OF LUCK
IN FINDING YOUR NEW FUR BABY!!!
Also if the dog from petfinder.com is not already registered you can pay a small fee to do it yourself. Rescue dogs usally run you less than $400 Breeders are $5000 +

Mattie answered on 10/26/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Sadie

Because Lacys are a working breed, not a show breed, registered dogs are significantly less than you'd expect. My two favorite breeders, who consistently have the best hunting, tracking and herding dogs, usually sell pups for $450. They may have a waiting list, but it is well worth it to get a quality Lacy. Check out www.NationalLacyDog.org, Jimmy Brooks and Mis Brooks are both officers and have contact information listed on the NLDA page.

Also note that anyone selling for more than that, like the $600+ range, is out for money, not the betterment of the breed.

What type of dog are you looking for? Honestly, don't get a Lacy puppy unless you have a job for them to do. They do not make good urban or suburban pets. Though they are great companions, they need a real job such as hog hunting or blood trailing to keep both their mind and body occupied. I've seen a lot of owners getting rid of their Lacys lately because they got them as pets.

Sadie answered on 12/4/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Ask if they line breed. The very best kennels always line breed since that is how you lock in the best traits of your kennel breeding program. Actually just look at what they are producing, are they consistently looking the same or does every dog look completely different. You won't even need to ask if they are line breeding. Those are the dogs you will have to pay more to get, but you get what you pay for. Quality always costs. Be aware there is responsible line breeding and there is in-breeding which are two VERY different things.

To answer your question truthfully, there are professional breeders that will be more expensive than your backyard breeder. Those breeders that breed under a professional Code of Ethics will not breed their Blue Lacy to anything and everything. Professional breeders take their breeding seriously and do extensive research before each mating to produce quality. Not quantity. That is where the difference in prices come from. You may have a backyard breeder that will sell their Blue Lacy for $400. Then you may have a professional breeder sell their Blue Lacy for $750. (I'm just throwing out numbers here.) Basically, you get what you pay for. You cannot compare a Kia to a Cadillac because there is no comparison in quality.

It's simplistic to say "no breeding." It's important to maintain the history and genetic diversity and usefulness of dogs.

I don't know why you picked a blue lacy. They are wonderful dogs but high energy and require experienced trainers.

More important than what you spend is picking a good breeder with a sound breeding program. Try to visit the breeders and talk to others who have dogs you admire. See the puppy's parents if possible. Log on to the Blue Lacey breed clubs.

$500 would be on the low end, I think, for a quality puppy.

Good luck.

PS If you don't have a special reason for wanting a blue lacy, mixed breeds are just as wonderful.

The price of the dog doesn't reflect quality but it might determine what type of breeder you are buying from. I know the breeder that was mentioned below and they definatly have good dogs but I've been told that the prices for some of the pups started at $600. I also think that was a fair price.

There are also other breeders who have really good dogs. Tom Graham, Aaron low and Jeff Herman.

Breeders who have several litters per year can still have great dogs but they always seem to need the money from the pups they sell to get buy. This always puts a strain on quality due to "integrity over neccesity" EXAMPLE: selling pups from a bred dog that has more undesirable traits than you want because you can't pass up the money. IMO hobby or enthusiast breeders would be my choice . Those guys do it because they love it and want to perfect their line, not turn a dollar. In all honesty their dogs cost them much more than they ever make.