Chloe

How do I get my dog to stop chewing her toys to pieces?

My dog (1 year old Mastiff cross) chews all her toys apart. I haven't found anything that stands up to her (including kongs). It isn't just when she is alone, it's all the time. There are pieces of balls, rope, stuffed animals and kongs all over the house. I'm tired of buying new toys every week.

Asked by Chloe on Sep 26th 2007 in Chewing

Best Answer

Duncan Donut

Look for TUFFIES toys on the internet or pet stores. They have stuffed toys that are made of kevlar (bulletproof vest are made from this) Here's the website:

vipproducts.com

Duncan Donut answered on Sep 28th.

Answers

Toby

My dog has the same exact problem!!!I can never EVER buy cloth toys!!!
SOmebody help us!!!

Toby answered on 9/26/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

It is perfectly natural for dogs to want to explore the world around them. To do this, dogs use either their nose or mouths, which is why they will smell or chew on almost anything they encounter.

Not long ago my friend asked me for help in correcting her five month old lab's chewing problem.

Prior to me meeting the dog, she attempted to scold the puppy whenever she would come home and find things chewed up, after he had already chewed it! The chewing and yelling continued until she finally realized that this wasn't working.

Then, finally, she went out and bought hundreds of dollars in chew toys and bones.

My friend told me that the first few days went fine while her puppy played with his new toys and rawhide, leaving the furniture alone. It didn't take long though for the dog to get bored with his new toys and turn to other forms of amusement.

Not long after she called me, begging for help.

Gabi

Welcome to my world. Two of my five dogs do the same thing and they are only 8 lbs dogs. It doesn't matter what the quality of the toy. I did find a few at petsmart that we have had for quite some time now. Sounds like they may be alittle bored when you are gone.

Gabi answered on 9/26/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Chipper

Sounds like boredom. Try walking her more to release some built up energy.

Chipper answered on 9/26/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Bailey Jade

We found a chew toy made by nylabone that is indestructable.......my siberian is the same way....they are kinda pricey, they are shaped like a turkey bone, ham bone, etc......try them, they are worth it and all my dogs love em....they've lasted 8 months now!

Bailey Jade answered on 9/27/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Mimi Eclaire of Cranberry

Hello!!! You would love Mimi. She takes all the squeekers out of the toys and leaves the stuffing on the floor. She only plays with the squeekers and throws them at me to play . If they end up under something she barks at me to get it as she is too scared to try to get it so I have to get on my hands and knees to look under furniture. What I did was bought a package of replacement squeekers for her to play with. Now I just find them everywhere. I don't buy new toys that often just on birthdays and holidays. I let them play with the ones they damaged. They play tug with the material from the stuffed ones. I will always have to clean them up anyway. That's why pups play to have fun.Part of raising pups unless you can teach them to put them away. Can't even get my human kid to do that. LoL!!

Mimi Eclaire of Cranberry answered on 9/28/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer