Izzy

what is the personality of shih tzu/ yorkie cross? Shorkie info

Hi there,
I am currently looking at adopting a shorkie baby & I was wondering if you guys could give me a true description of your pup’s temperament. I’ve had shih tzus before & I love that they are so calm & docile but when they are older they become extra mellow. I am hoping that maybe a shorkie will have the sweetness of my shih tzus but a lil more pep in their step. Any advice for me? Thanks so much!
Hailey

Asked by Izzy on Feb 13th 2009 Tagged shihtzu, yorkie, personlaity in Breeds

Answers

Zack

Because this is a mixed breed, it is impossible to predict the temperament. A Shih Tzu/Yorkie cross could be exactly like a Shih Tzu, exactly like a Yorkshire Terrier, somewhere in between, or completely different from either one. You would need to know the temperaments of both lines that were involved in the breeding to even make a guess.

That's one of the things I love about shelter and rescue mutts - they are each so different and unique.

I'm sure you have done your research and are adopting your puppy from a reputable shelter or rescue. The shelter/rescue group should be able to help you pick a puppy that has the characteristics you are looking for.

Good Luck!

Zack answered on 2/13/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Lola Penelope

Zack is so right! Lola is a mixed breed who is German Shepherd/ Border Collie and I researched both breeds and noticed some behaviors are kinda like Border Collie and some Shepherd. Then there are some that are just plain puppy. Actually... a lot of just plain puppy. Once I stopped trying to figure out what was from what breed I started focusing on her individual traits. Like food obsession! I think any breed dog can have it! Luckily even as a puppy she's not a go go go kind of dog like all the Borders I know, but boy if she gets board she gets into a lot of trouble! So be prepared to have some or all or none of each breeds traits!

Lola Penelope answered on 2/13/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

The previous posters are correct...There is no way to determine the temperament & personality when you mix breeds.

Rosie

My shorkie is 7 months old . She is sweet and loving-but has a lot of energy -she is always ready to take a walk-play-run-and have fun-but she also loves to cuddle and give lots of kisses. I think she is the best of both breeds. Be ready to have lots of fun. She is a real people dog. She also loves other dogs.

Rosie answered on 3/7/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer