What is the most effective way to get rid of Fleas? Please help!

I have a Miniature Poodle. Recently, he's had fleas on him. We first took him to the groomers and they gave him a bath in a flea & tick shampoo. While he was there, we fogged the house. When we went to pick up my dog, he still had fleas on him. We called the vet and the vet said to use Advantage, so my dad went out and bought it. We've also used a flea comb and after putting the Advantage on my dog, we took him to my Aunts and we fogged the house again. We brought him back home and my dog had no fleas, of what I could see, on him. Then, today, I started noticing fleas again. What else can we do? Please help!

Asked by Member 1034592 on May 22nd 2011 Tagged fleas, howtogetridoffleas, flea, whathappensifwehavefleas, howtogetridoffleas, fleaproblem, advantage in Flea & Tick Prevention

Answers

Fleas can live for a long time in your house. Discuss with your vet the best product for your dog & your house. I have had success with Advantix, but last year i did the natural approach & used diatomaceous earth on both the dogs & the house. It did the trick. You can get it from a garden store or a natural food store. Get human grade. Lightly dust everywhere in the house & lightly dust the dog. Rub it in to get down to the skin. Leave it on. Don't do too much or you will have a dust cloud every time you pet the dog.

It sounds like you did a good job on the dog and the house. The missing part is the yard. It's annoying, but they must be outside in areas your dog goes to toilet. Look into treating the yard as well.

I use Frontline, but have never had a flea problem. I don't know how well it would do if I did.

I understand Diatomatious Earth is useful in getting rid of fleas outside.

Riley

The only product that has worked for our maltese mix who is really allergic to fleas is comfortis. Its a once a month chewable pill and my dog gobbles it right up. It works and really its cheaper that frontline, and advantage in the long run. Only disadvantage is you have to buy them in six month supplys. I hope this helps and good luck.

Riley answered on 5/22/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

You have some nice advice here. I know another thing we did when we had problems with fleas in the house was to vacuum the rugs every other day. This would help to cut down on the fleas. But make sure you toss out the vacuum bag so they do not escape back into the rug.

Fleas, Yes, you are doing a good job. The Cats or yard may also have fleas - there are treatments you can buy for the yard. ( The solutions attach to a hose)
SEE here- Natural Flea control:
bulldogvitamins.blogspot.com
Garlic juice and supplements can help. If I use Frontline, we use only 1/2 the tube on each pet. Many times they don't need the full tube..
It's a poison.
HOPE this helps......