HONEY

WHAT IS THE DIFFRENTS AKC AND ACA

I WAS WONDERING WHAT THE DIFFERNTS IS BETWEEN AKC AND ACA.,AND CAN I GET INFORMATION ON THE PARENTS OF MY DOG ON EATHER ONE. THANKS

Asked by HONEY on Mar 4th 2008 Tagged regpapers in General

Answers

The AKC is the American Kennel club and the ACA is the American Canine Club. I don't know anyhting about the ACA, but I do know with the AKC you can get the family pedigree if your dogs parents were registered. Check out www.akc.org for some more info.

Tucker

From my understanding, here's the difference between AKC and ACA (in general):

With an AKC registered dog, it's a purebred, and usually the pedigree/lineage of the dog is available to see. Not all dogs that are AKC registered meet the breed standard, but that's what good breeders strive for. Also, (not all, but many) AKC dogs' parents, and dogs back in the line have health clearances (these are specific health clearances, OFA, CERF, etc.)

With ACA, it's a registry that people who've bred dogs use to 'register' dogs that can't be registered with AKC, for whatever reason (mixed breed, don't meet the standard, or whatever). They can have a health certificate, but that just means a vet looked at them and didn't see any obvious health problems. ACA dogs cannot be registered with AKC. I don't know if you can trace pedigrees with ACA.

I know people that got an ACA dog, and discovered the difference; that's what they told me.

Tucker answered on 3/4/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

In northern America, there are 3 reputable clubs: the AKC (American Kennel Club), the UKC (United Kennel Club) and the CKC (Canadian Kennel Club).

These organizations do a variety of things, but their main purpose is the registration of purebred dogs. The AKC requires genetic testing and inspects breeders.

There are other clubs in the United States that offer you a way of registering a dog or litter, such as the CKC (Continental Kennel Club), the ACA (American Canine Association), and others.

They are VANITY registries for unsuspecting puppy buyers and unscrupulous backyard breeders. Registration does not require proof the dog is purebred, that genetic testing was done, or much of anything else. As a result, the papers you get from them are worth not even the paper they are printed on.

Information on your dog's parents should come from the breeder - you should have gotten your dog's pedigree / registration papers.