RIP Bruno

What is the best way to train my new puppy not to be aggressive?

I would like to know if there are any measures I can take to prevent my 11 week old puppy from becoming aggressive? He's been showing some signs of aggression when he's around his food and/or his treats (rawhides I give him for his teething) and I would like to stop this behavior ASAP.

An example of the aggressive behavior he can exhibit is when he's chewing on a rawhide and my other dog gets close to him, he goes ridgid and last night he actually snarled at her.

He's never growled at me or any of my kids but I want to make sure this behavior doesn't progress. I've been socializing him like crazy and feed him 2x a day inside his kennel. I don't let the dogs have rawhides or bones when the kids are up and about because I'm paranoid about aggression. I do have the kids treat him as well as help with the daily duties (walking, feeding, watering) so that he gets used to them handling his food.

Any ideas on what I can do?

Asked by RIP Bruno on Apr 29th 2012 Tagged newpuppy, aggression, biting, food in Aggression

Answers

Maggie Mae

My answer was to long, so I posted it here on 4/29 hope it helps.

www.facebook.com

Maggie Mae answered on 4/29/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Shasta

I'm not an expert on aggression... [my Shasta has a weird 'aggression/dominance' to any dog he doesn't know... he acts like he wants to kill them, when luckily he has never bit any dogs nor do I think he will unless provoked]

But what I did for Shasta when he would get like that to the other dogs, is as soon as he started to raise hackles/growl/tense up, I would give a quick sharp "No sir" and take his bone away until he calmed down. If he would still be like that when I gave him the bone back, then I would tell him "No sir" and give it to the other dog. Now natural food-possession is okay in a very minimal amount, like I let Shasta stay a tiny bit 'cranky' to the others, because if he wouldn't, then he would chicken out and let them come up and take all his bones... which wouldn't be fair to him if Otto took all his favorite bones! Lol!

Best Regards! =D

Shasta answered on 4/29/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

you MUST use a shock collar. it helps alot.

Mia

Correct him immediately with a "Hey" or "No". Redirect him with a treat or a toy and remove the object he was protecting. After he is calm hand it back to him. If he does it again repeat it. Eventually he learns that he can only keep it if he is calm.

Hand feed him his kibble or treats one piece at a time and repeat "gentle" or "nice" if you feel teeth. Do it with the other dog at the same time so he learns to share.

Make him sit and wait for his bowl food. Only give it to him when he is calm. Remove his food a few times while he is eating it and give it back when he sits and is calm.
Do this only if you are confident that he will not bite you. I have done this with all my dogs and have never had an aggressive one yet. Lots of patience and praise is the Key!!

Praise! Praise! Praise! for good behavior. Treats and love make a happy puppy! :)
Good luck and have fun with your new pup!

Mia answered on 4/30/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Check out this article on Resource Guarding: www.pbsmiles.org

NEVER take the object he is growling about away from him without trading up for something of higher value.
Stop and think it thru...he is guarding that bone or whatever because he doesn't want to lose it. IF you take it away, you are absolutely teaching him that he is RIGHT, if he doesn't protect it, it will get taken away! The next time he has something, he will protect it with even MORE vengence so he won't lose that one, too!!!
Have a special treat, piece of hot dog or piece of boiled chicken, etc., and teach him that when you take something, you give something even better. Use this method for ALL things he might protect... food, bones, favorite toys, etc., and he will grow up knowing that if someone takes his treat, he will get something even better, and will give up his stuff willingly.
This is definitely NOT a place for a shock collar...they are used to proof a behavior already trained only, and can and will backfire if used for resource guarding!!! Using pain NEVER works!