Hercules

What is the best way to separate from your best dog friend when leaving overseas?

My daughter and her lab are best buddies. Soon she will graduate from college and go to graduate school overseas. Hercules will stay with me and she will be gone for 2 1/2 yrs coming back to visit occasionally. My question is: What is the best way for her to leave so that it will be easier for Hercules? He knows that a visit home is over and they are going home when she packs her bags. He sticks to her like glue when he sees this. He wants to make sure that she won't leave him. This Aug. he will have to stay. Maybe we should hide her bags and leave some of her stuff out so that he doesn't go into a panic or is it better to see her leave without him?
Thanks for your advice.

Asked by Hercules on Apr 29th 2012 Tagged separate, longtrips, leftbehind in Behavior & Training