What is the best food to feed an Akita puppy?

There is so much conflicting information on this subject and I am unsure which food to choose.
She is 11 weeks old and was being fed Pedigree Puppy :(
I am considering Canidae ALS. Any thoughts or suggestions? We are on a strict budget so 60+ a bag is not optional. Thank you in advance!

Asked by Member 1113482 on May 31st 2012 Tagged food, akita, holistic, protein, canidae, puppy, protien in Food & Nutrition

Answers

Rocky

any dog food thats first ingredient is meat and not corn based is a good dog food. i feed my dogs that new Rachael Ray dog food its cheep and good for them.

Rocky answered on 5/31/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Carter

Pedigree and purina i dont personally like. Dont feed you dog that has any by-products, soy,wheat,or corn. Make sure its something more natural. I would do research on any food that you are going to be feeding your dog just because with all the dog food recalls that have been going on lately. Canidae was one of those selections so i would choose wisely.

Blue buffalo is a more natural dog food and hasnt been recalled for anything bad, yes, it was recalled ONCE in 2010 but for too much vitamin D.Now would you rather have a dog that has too much Vitamin D or is getting sick from salmonella like all the diamond food products had. I'm not telling you which dog food to buy I'm telling you to do your research because alot of food have the bad stuff in it. Out of all the foods MY opinion is Blue Buffalo.Some people may post on here and disagree with me saying that their dog has gotten sick on it, But sometimes dogs dont go well with alot of foods

Carter answered on 5/31/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I feed my Akita TOTW only sometimes since the recall i am abit nervous anyway i always mix all natural green tripe in but lately i have been using orijen dry it is the healthiest & i still mix in the all natural green tripe,please stop feeding her commercial dog food like pedigree! it is a bit more expensive to feed her the healthier foods but alot cheaper than going to a vet because she has stomach problems,kidneys, tumours, or worse the list goes on.When you do put her on a healthier food you will have to ween her off the food she eats now,it took me 10 dys to change my Akita's diet i started to fast & had alot of diarrhea to deal with but using boiled chicken thighs with white rice known as the bland diet will take care of that problem.You can't just feed your Akita wet food not enough nutrition your Akita will become sick.Please let me know how you make out.AKITA LOVER FROM CAPE BRETON N.S. CANADA

I believe the best food for an Akita is Orijen Regional Red or The Honest Kitchen Grain Free. Love both of these foods and highly recommend them.

Don't feed Pedigree, Pedigree is a horrible dog food that has horrible ingredients.

Stay away from any dog foods that have corn, soy, wheat, grains, by-products, "mystery meats" (animal fat, poultry meal, poultry by-products, meat and bone meal, liver, digest, etc), chemicals (such as propylene glycol, BHA and BHT) and salt.

I wouldn't feed Canidae ALS.