what is the best dog food for my shi-tzu?

Hey guys I just got a new shi-tzu baby and I was researching on the internet and found this:
www.thedogfoodconspiracy.com
and now I am traumatize.I am feeding my baby bite-size pedigree but now a am planing on getting something else.After some research on the internet I found some good reviews for the brands ´Life ´s Abundence´ and ´Natural Diamonds´.Does anybody here uses does brands and believes them to be absolutly safe for my baby? Are there any other brands that might be safer? Where can I buy the brands that I mention or the ones you guys recomend? The price is no trouble,my new baby health is priceless.

Asked by Member 764873 on Nov 8th 2008 Tagged dog, food, shitzu, bestdogfood, whichoneissafe in Pet Food

Answers

Pogo

I would highly suggest buying food from one of the major companies such as Purina. They are one of the more established brands that have been around for a long time.

Make sure if you choose a brand (Purina, Eukanuba, etc) that she/he is eating the one labeled for "puppies". He/she needs to eat the puppy kind until they are a year old.

Pogo answered on 11/8/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I disagree with the previous poster. Except for one of their formulas, Purina is essentially no better than Pedigree, nor is Iams/Eukanuba. Look for meat-meal based foods, with no corn or wheat, and little to no grains. Solid Gold makes a small breed formula. Wellness is great. Innova is another good one.
Another great site to check out is www.dogfoodanalysis.com

Bam-Bam, CGC answered on 11/8/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Dexter

The site you went to is nothing but a scare tactic to get you to buy the books, which are incredibly expensive by the way. After some research I found SOME of the things they talk about did happen, the rest only COULD happen (did not really happen, but are possible) but were rare and most were cases of a food allergy or a problem with the dog-not the food-that was not caught until it was too late. My ex-father in law worked for one of the major dog food producers in the world for over 30 years, trust me, you won't kill your dog by feeding it dog food unless he/she has a problem that you don't catch.

Ask your vet what he/she thinks. It is a matter of personal opinion and what you prefer. Don't let that site scare you, it is a bunch of poop.

Dexter answered on 11/9/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Oliver

We have our little one on Wellness Small Breed and are Cocker Spaniel/Rottweiler mix on Summit. The best thing to do is avoid dog foods that use meat by-products and stick to those that use meal. (i.e. chicken meal) The dog will end up with more protein this way as opposed to even the ones that list just the meat (i.e. chicken) on the label. Generally if you look at the label and you can't pronounce some of the words on the ingredients list, don't buy it. I used to feed my little guy Iams and thought I was giving him good food until I realized it wasn't much better than any grocery store brand. Every dog is going to do a better on different things. If you check your local independent pet food supplier they normally have samples of their dog foods. I know Wellness supplier almost always do.

The site is just a scare tactic though. Some of the things stated are true however it is designed to scare you into buying those books.

Oliver answered on 11/10/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Bilg

I have been using Life's Abundence for over 5 years and I can tell you that it is Very Safe.
This is a holistic food which mean's it has no harmful chemical, no artificial flavors, no artificial colors, no corn or corn gluten and no wheat or wheat gluten. This food is Veterinarian formulated. My two dogs love it and they are very healthy. I buy my food from www.healthpetslive.com they can also answer alot of your questions. They will deliver the food to your door.

Bilg answered on 11/12/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer