what is the best dog food available in india, i raise great dane

eukanuba, naturapet ,purina iams etc arenot available in india

Asked by Member 848731 on Aug 26th 2009 in Great Dane

Answers

Basically, look for a food with meat meal as the first ingredient, or that has meat and meat meal near the top of the ingredients list. Also look for a food with no corn, and even better if it's grain free.
(Foods like Eukanuba, Purina, etc are actually not the best things to feed. Iams is probably the best grocery store food available in the USA, but you can find much higher quality kibble at a pet store.)

See dogfoodanalysis.com and dogfoodproject.com for more information on ingredients.
You may also find it profitable to look into feeding a homeprepared diet such as homecooked or raw. Just be sure to thoroughly research these diets first. One site I particulary recommend is rawmeatybones.com. Also give rawfed.com a look-over.

Keep in mind that pet food can be a controversial subject. Because of this, it is important to look at both sides.

My website is an *introduction* to the world of responsible dog breeding:
cookiemiller.tripod.com
~Tiffany, breeder-in-training

If Pedigree is available, which I think I have seen references to, it should be OK. It is impossible to judge a food by its ingredients. dogfoodanalysis is a rather useless site, with no science to back its ratings and theories. Most of the foods you mentioned have a history of excellent results, yet rate low there.

Dog nutrition is complex, but well known. A list of ingredients tells you nothing about how much of each amino acid is in it, whether any grains have been processed enough to make them digestible, what vitamins may have been depleted by processing, etc.

Here the AAFCO provides guidelines for what nutrients a food should contain and a feeding test protocol. I don't know if foods available in India are tested by those methods or not. If so, they should say ''Animal feeding tests following the Americian Association of Feeding Control Officers procedures substantiate that __________ provides a complete and balanced diet.''

Good information is hard to come by. Much of what you read on the net is marketing hype.

Daisy

I agree exactly what bear says. I just want to say though that corn is not digestable no mater what you do to it. We as humans poop it out whole. Dogs do as well. I work at a clinic and why do many dogs on science diet have whole corn kernels in their poop!!!! Because its not digestable. Ingredients actually do mean alot. Its what is going into your dogs body so I think it is rather important.

Daisy answered on 8/27/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 2 Report this answer

Fritz

We agree with Bear, Just because something has been done for years, doesn’t mean it is the best practice. A case in point would be smoking, for many years people smoked, some lived to a ripe old age, but it doesn’t mean smoking is good for you.

The same with commercial dog food. You need to educate yourself about the nutritional needs of your dogs and be aware that dog food companies are in business to make money and don’t always put your dog’s health in front of the almighty dollar. Dog food analysis is a good place to start your education.

Be aware that a lot of clinics and big kennels don’t know much about nutrition. Most dog foods such as pedigree are full of corn and other foods that aren’t optimum at the best and cause horrible problems at the worst. It seems to me that a lot of people bash sites like dog food analysis because they are in denial about what they feed their own dogs.

Fritz answered on 8/27/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Cricket

Please ask your Vet to recommend a LARGE BREED food. Great Danes should not eat the same food as Labradors or Chihuahuas. They need different food so they will grow properly. When you got this Puppy you should have been prepared and have had a Vets advice on feeding the puppy.
Do your homework now.

Cricket answered on 8/27/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

If Canidea, Merrick, Orijen, Halo, Calafornia Natural or Solid Gold is in the stores there then these would be the best foods ever!