What is the age that you can start training a Westie?

At what age can you start training a Westie in obedience?

Asked by Member 1129481 on Sep 5th 2012 Tagged obediencetraining in Puppies

Answers

UCH Onyx TT, CGC

Puppies as young as six weeks can begin to learn basic obedience. Keep training sessions short and fun, as young pups generally don't have a very long attention span.

UCH Onyx TT, CGC answered on 9/5/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I would start them in some kind of traiining as soon as they are old enough to be getting around well. I saw a program on how they train puppies for movies and they started them very young. But you have to make it fun and keep it short with some kind of reward for doing things right

Mishka & Luna

All my puppies i have had i started training them when they were 6 weeks of age. The earlier the better. But the younger the puppy the shorter the training periods have to be. Young puppies get worn out quickly and start losing their attention span. So keep them short.

Mishka & Luna answered on 9/7/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Remmington

I got my pup when he was about 1.5 months old and began training right away. I have had him for about a month now and he has already learned sit, lay down, rollover, and up. So i say start them right away. The easiest thing to start with is sit. I was an animal trainer at moody gardens, and the clicker method works really well. I would begin with name recognition and the come here command and then proceed on to sit. Good luck let us know how it goes!

Remmington answered on 9/7/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Giuseppeino (Peppi)

I started training my westie when he was 5 months old (when i got him) an he was able to learn sit and paw in the that month. Teaching him to lay down was hard for him at the time.

Giuseppeino (Peppi) answered on 9/10/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer