What is my dog? What should I feed him?

I was given a dog by someone that found him. He almost looks like a husky but is VERY big. The people at petco said he has to be mixed with a wild dog because of the texture of his hair. He also won't eat dog food or treats but responded well to a steak. Any ideas on what his breed might be?

Asked by Member 1141738 on Nov 21st 2012 Tagged food, breed in Mixed Breeds

Answers

How about prey model raw? Check out the raw forums on here in the community section.

Well, we can't help you identify him without a picture. But I highly doubt he has "wild dog" in him. lol Petco staff are not usually qualified to id breeds..especially based on coat texture. LOL
For food...raw is a great choice, but some people prefer kibble, or a balanced home-cooked meal.
When choosing a kibble..look for one with no grains..dogs ARE carnivores, after all. Look for meat or meat meal as your top ingredients. Avoid anything with ethoxyquin or synthetic vitamin K..both known carcinogens.
I feed my dogs Acana, which is made by Champion foods..who also make Orijen, which is top of the line for kibble. Other choices are Taste of the Wild or Wellness. You can check out sites like dogfoodadvisor.com for comarison purposes.
Congrats on your new dog!

Mika

if he looks like a Husky but bigger, he could be a Malamute. They are similar looking but a bit of a different more coarse coat on them. Check out the raw food forums here as the other poster said.

Mika answered on 11/22/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Merrick is a great food to feed, learn more about Merrick at www.merrickpetcare.com

Merrick has grain free dog food which is a plus for any dog. Dog's don't need grains in their diets.

Merrick is one of the best dog foods that you can feed to your dog. There's many different formulas to choose from which makes it easy to choose the perfect one for your dog.

Leo

Impossible with no pic, could be a malamute or husky cross or an American Eskimo dog cross or a GSD cross or none of the above. No way to say. There are no "wild dogs" in America so he's not that, unless you mean a wolf.

If he won't eat kibble try a raw diet. However, you need to research how to provide a balanced raw diet (you can't just give them chicken or steak every day), but the info is easy to find online. Good luck.

Leo answered on 11/24/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer