Mya

What is good doggie shampoo?

My mommie has been taking me on aLOT more walks. lotsa times its twice a day! yay yay yay! We always walk on my favorite walk and then go swimmingg in the creek under the bridge. The creek water is very dirty and some times i walk home looking like a chocolate lab!(I am a Yellow lab) My mommie needs to give me a bath once a week now cause we get so dirty. (she has to wash up to in that water spraying thing in her bathroom more often too) But the dirt still shows up. What do you think would be the best shampoo for my muddy coat?

Asked by Mya on Jun 21st 2011 Tagged shampoo, muddy, creek in Bathing

Answers

I like TropiClean Oatmeal formula because it's soap-free and doesn't bother my skin, which is sensitive.

Moose

It's actually better if you invest in a soft brush for him -- shampooing too often removes the natural oils in his fur and can irritate his skin (especially with labs). If the mud is too tough to brush out, wash without shampoo and then brush once his coat is dry. You'll be surprised how much those oils help out!

Save the shampoo for bath time once every three weeks to once a month.

Moose answered on 6/21/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Actually Moose is right on. When showing my labs we didn't bathe them at all since it removes the natural oils and makes the coat soft, a no no where the show lab is concerned.
Any time they were muddy we would allow it to dry and just brush any remaining dust out of the coat. They always ended up with shiny, healthy coats.
Prior to a weekend of showing I always took my guys to the local pond for a nice swim. When we got home they would dry lying on a towel in their crates. After that, a good brush with a slicker brush removed any lingering mud and they were ready to show with the good "hard" coats that the standard requires.
If the show site was at a pond or a lake ALL the labs went swimming after judging every day.
One popular handler who had written a handling book even wrote that she considered mud "nature's best, natural creme rinse".

I like to use PETfection Puppy Suds. It is 100% Organic and Non Toxic and works really well at removing dirt, mud, and grease, without drying out the skin and leaving residue behind. Check it out at www.myPETfection.com for more info. I highly recommend it!!

Fisook

Aromadog has some amazing aromatherapy shampoos and products!

Fisook answered on 9/2/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer